Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plan of Inverness Harbour, 1729
EXTERNAL ID
PC_IHT_001
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1729
SOURCE
Inverness Harbour Trust
ASSET ID
28794
KEYWORDS
Inverness Harbour
harbours
citadel
Oliver Cromwell
Old Quay
New Quay
Citadel Quay
Thornbush Quay
Inverness Harbour Trust

Shown is a plan of Inverness Harbour, dated from 1729. The River Ness is shown in the centre and a diagram of the old citadel can be seen at the top left. The citadel, built by Oliver Cromwell in 1652-58, was demolished in 1660.

The first quay was built in Inverness c.1650 at a cost of £300. This is shown on the plan as 'The Old Harbour' (centre right). Situated between Waterloo Bridge and the Railway Viaduct it allowed vessels of up to 80 tons to dock. The 'Citadel' Quay, shown on the plan as 'The New Harbour' (to the right of the Citadel) was begun in 1725, at Shore Street, but lack of funds prevented its completion until the 1790s. Improvements were made to both quays in the early 19th century and the Thornbush Quay was added in 1817.

Dwelling houses and outhouses are shown on the plan and also the areas affected by the Spring Tides. The plan also shows some of the surrounding areas to have been used as 'corn ground' and 'garden ground'.

The Inverness Harbour Trust was established by the Inverness Harbour Act (1847). The harbour flourished in the mid-19th century until the opening of railway lines to the north took traffic away. However, improvements were again made to the harbour in the late 19th century and this period saw an increase in steamers and coal carrying vessels to the port. 20th century developments included a huge increase in cargoes of cement for the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board and an expansion of oil and petrol storage facilities.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plan of Inverness Harbour, 1729

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

Inverness Harbour; harbours; citadel; Oliver Cromwell; Old Quay; New Quay; Citadel Quay; Thornbush Quay; Inverness Harbour Trust

Inverness Harbour Trust

Shown is a plan of Inverness Harbour, dated from 1729. The River Ness is shown in the centre and a diagram of the old citadel can be seen at the top left. The citadel, built by Oliver Cromwell in 1652-58, was demolished in 1660.<br /> <br /> The first quay was built in Inverness c.1650 at a cost of £300. This is shown on the plan as 'The Old Harbour' (centre right). Situated between Waterloo Bridge and the Railway Viaduct it allowed vessels of up to 80 tons to dock. The 'Citadel' Quay, shown on the plan as 'The New Harbour' (to the right of the Citadel) was begun in 1725, at Shore Street, but lack of funds prevented its completion until the 1790s. Improvements were made to both quays in the early 19th century and the Thornbush Quay was added in 1817.<br /> <br /> Dwelling houses and outhouses are shown on the plan and also the areas affected by the Spring Tides. The plan also shows some of the surrounding areas to have been used as 'corn ground' and 'garden ground'. <br /> <br /> The Inverness Harbour Trust was established by the Inverness Harbour Act (1847). The harbour flourished in the mid-19th century until the opening of railway lines to the north took traffic away. However, improvements were again made to the harbour in the late 19th century and this period saw an increase in steamers and coal carrying vessels to the port. 20th century developments included a huge increase in cargoes of cement for the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board and an expansion of oil and petrol storage facilities.