Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aerial view of Inverness Harbour and the Kessock Bridge
EXTERNAL ID
PC_IHT_005
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Inverness Harbour Trust
ASSET ID
28795
KEYWORDS
Kessock Bridge
bridge
Inverness
North Kessock
1982
Inverness Harbour
city
aerial view
aerial photographs
Aerial view of Inverness Harbour and the Kessock Bridge

An aerial view of Inverness Harbour and the Kessock Bridge.

Opened in 1982, the bridge crosses the Beauly Firth to connect the village of North Kessock with Inverness. It spans a length of 1,056m and it possesses a very rigid grid structure.

The first quay at Inverness Harbour was built in c.1650 at a cost of £300. It allowed vessels of up to 80 tons to dock. A new quay (the 'Citadel' Quay) was begun in 1725 but lack of funds prevented its completion until the 1790s. Improvements were made to both quays in the early 19th century. The Thornbush Quay was added in 1817.

The Inverness Harbour Trust was established by the Inverness Harbour Act (1847). Further improvements, totalling £8,000, were carried out in 1883 which had the effect of increasing the annual dues from £1,000 to nearly £2,000.

20th century developments included a huge increase in cargoes of cement for the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board and an expansion of oil and petrol storage facilities. Vessels of up to 22 feet draft are now able to dock

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aerial view of Inverness Harbour and the Kessock Bridge

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

Kessock Bridge; bridge; Inverness; North Kessock; 1982; Inverness Harbour; city; aerial view; aerial photographs

Inverness Harbour Trust

An aerial view of Inverness Harbour and the Kessock Bridge. <br /> <br /> Opened in 1982, the bridge crosses the Beauly Firth to connect the village of North Kessock with Inverness. It spans a length of 1,056m and it possesses a very rigid grid structure.<br /> <br /> The first quay at Inverness Harbour was built in c.1650 at a cost of £300. It allowed vessels of up to 80 tons to dock. A new quay (the 'Citadel' Quay) was begun in 1725 but lack of funds prevented its completion until the 1790s. Improvements were made to both quays in the early 19th century. The Thornbush Quay was added in 1817.<br /> <br /> The Inverness Harbour Trust was established by the Inverness Harbour Act (1847). Further improvements, totalling £8,000, were carried out in 1883 which had the effect of increasing the annual dues from £1,000 to nearly £2,000.<br /> <br /> 20th century developments included a huge increase in cargoes of cement for the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board and an expansion of oil and petrol storage facilities. Vessels of up to 22 feet draft are now able to dock