Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Eilean Donan Castle
EXTERNAL ID
PC_JACKWATSON_004
PLACENAME
Eilean Donan Castle
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kintail
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Jack Watson
SOURCE
Jack Watson
ASSET ID
28799
KEYWORDS
Lochaber
Eilean Donan
Loch Duich
Lord of the Isles
castle
Eilean Donan Castle

This photograph contains a frontal view of Eilean Donan Castle, bathed in early evening light. The castle is situated at the confluence between Loch Long, Loch Duich and Loch Alsh. Eilean Donan, which translates as 'the island of Donan', is thought to have been named after Bishop Donan, an Irish Saint who arrived in Scotland in 580 AD. The first fortified structure was constructed on the island in the thirteenth century, when the area still rested under the power of the Lordship of the Isles.

This castle was built on a position of strategic importance to counter the Vikings, whose raids and incursions were still a potent threat in the north of Scotland. Over the years, the castle expanded and contracted in size. It was garrisoned by Jacobite supporters during their rebellions in the eighteenth century in favour of the House of Stewart, and this action led to the castle's destruction.

Eilean Donan Castle lay in ruins for almost 200 years until Lt Colonel John Macrae-Gilstrap bought the island in 1911 and dedicated the next 20 years of his life to restoring the castle. It was completed in 1932.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Eilean Donan Castle

ROSS: Kintail

2000s

Lochaber; Eilean Donan; Loch Duich; Lord of the Isles; castle

Jack Watson

Jack Watson Photography

This photograph contains a frontal view of Eilean Donan Castle, bathed in early evening light. The castle is situated at the confluence between Loch Long, Loch Duich and Loch Alsh. Eilean Donan, which translates as 'the island of Donan', is thought to have been named after Bishop Donan, an Irish Saint who arrived in Scotland in 580 AD. The first fortified structure was constructed on the island in the thirteenth century, when the area still rested under the power of the Lordship of the Isles. <br /> <br /> This castle was built on a position of strategic importance to counter the Vikings, whose raids and incursions were still a potent threat in the north of Scotland. Over the years, the castle expanded and contracted in size. It was garrisoned by Jacobite supporters during their rebellions in the eighteenth century in favour of the House of Stewart, and this action led to the castle's destruction. <br /> <br /> Eilean Donan Castle lay in ruins for almost 200 years until Lt Colonel John Macrae-Gilstrap bought the island in 1911 and dedicated the next 20 years of his life to restoring the castle. It was completed in 1932.