Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Going through the Locks at Fort Augustus, 1894
EXTERNAL ID
PC_JACKWILKINSON_001
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
1894
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Jack Wilkinson
ASSET ID
28829
KEYWORDS
boat
boats
boating
canal
sailing
Going through the Locks at Fort Augustus, 1894

A photograph from the collection of Jack Wilkinson. The annotation underneath reads, 'Going through the Locks at Fort Augustus, 1894. Monastery in the distance.' The Fort Augustus Locks make up part of the Caledonian Canal. The Canal runs between Inverness on the east coast and Corpach, near Fort William, on the west. It opened in 1822 but wasn't fully finished until 1847.

The monastery seen in the photograph is the Community of St Benedict's Abbey. It was founded in 1876, and was a re-foundation of the monastery of St. James at Ratisbon (Regensburg) in Bavaria, which was suppressed in 1862.

The Community of St. Benedict's Abbey dissolved in 1998 and the Abbey was sold to private investors. The Abbey housed an important collection of books and manuscripts, which has since been transferred to the National Library of Scotland.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Going through the Locks at Fort Augustus, 1894

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1890s

boat; boats; boating; canal; sailing

Jack Wilkinson

A photograph from the collection of Jack Wilkinson. The annotation underneath reads, 'Going through the Locks at Fort Augustus, 1894. Monastery in the distance.' The Fort Augustus Locks make up part of the Caledonian Canal. The Canal runs between Inverness on the east coast and Corpach, near Fort William, on the west. It opened in 1822 but wasn't fully finished until 1847. <br /> <br /> The monastery seen in the photograph is the Community of St Benedict's Abbey. It was founded in 1876, and was a re-foundation of the monastery of St. James at Ratisbon (Regensburg) in Bavaria, which was suppressed in 1862. <br /> <br /> The Community of St. Benedict's Abbey dissolved in 1998 and the Abbey was sold to private investors. The Abbey housed an important collection of books and manuscripts, which has since been transferred to the National Library of Scotland.