Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Snow Capped Summit of Braeriach from above Boat of Garten
EXTERNAL ID
PC_JMACGILLIVRAY_004
PLACENAME
Boat of Garten
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
SOURCE
J MacGillivray
ASSET ID
28840
KEYWORDS
villages
towns
mountains
Snow Capped Summit of Braeriach from above Boat of Garten

A postcard dating from the early 1970s showing Braeriach and the Cairngorms from above the village of Boat of Garten. The postcard was sent by 'Sheena' to William Carmichael of Kilmacolm, and was written and posted in Edinburgh.

Boat of Garten is located 9.5 km northeast of Aviemore. There was a settlement here in the 17th century known as Gart, but it wasn't until the opening of the railway station in 1863 that the village properly developed. The railway station was named 'Boat of Garten' after the chain-operated ferry that ran across the River Spey at Gartenmore. The ferry was replaced by a bridge in 1899, but the name 'Boat of Garten' remained.

Boat of Garten railway station closed to passengers in 1965, but since 1978 the station building and the line have been used by the Strathspey Railway Company, which operates a steam train between Aviemore and Broomhill, via Boat of Garten

Loch Garten, which is home to an Osprey viewing centre, lies to the east of Boat of Garten.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Snow Capped Summit of Braeriach from above Boat of Garten

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

villages; towns; mountains;

J MacGillivray

A postcard dating from the early 1970s showing Braeriach and the Cairngorms from above the village of Boat of Garten. The postcard was sent by 'Sheena' to William Carmichael of Kilmacolm, and was written and posted in Edinburgh.<br /> <br /> Boat of Garten is located 9.5 km northeast of Aviemore. There was a settlement here in the 17th century known as Gart, but it wasn't until the opening of the railway station in 1863 that the village properly developed. The railway station was named 'Boat of Garten' after the chain-operated ferry that ran across the River Spey at Gartenmore. The ferry was replaced by a bridge in 1899, but the name 'Boat of Garten' remained.<br /> <br /> Boat of Garten railway station closed to passengers in 1965, but since 1978 the station building and the line have been used by the Strathspey Railway Company, which operates a steam train between Aviemore and Broomhill, via Boat of Garten<br /> <br /> Loch Garten, which is home to an Osprey viewing centre, lies to the east of Boat of Garten.