Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duntulm Castle
EXTERNAL ID
PC_JMSTRACHAN_137
PLACENAME
Duntulm
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
CREATOR
JM Strachan
SOURCE
J I R Martin
ASSET ID
28986
KEYWORDS
castles
ruins
coasts
Duntulm Castle

From a basalt promontory on the north west coast of Trotternish on Skye, Duntulm Castle looks out across the Minch, with Tulm island lying just offshore. The castle ruins are perched on the very edge of 30m cliffs pounded by the sea below: a perfect situation for a structure which was both a secure stronghold and a symbol of strength and chieftainship.

This dramatic setting was probably the site of one of the many Iron Age duns or forts which dotted the coastline of Skye. The castle may well have been under Norse control for a time, assuming the name 'Dun Dhaibhidh' (David's Fort), but from the 13th century its ownership was hotly disputed by the MacDonalds and MacLeods, and changed hands frequently down the centuries.

During the 16th century the Crown too became involved. Royal charters were issued granting the stewardship of the Trotternish lands, including the castle, to one clan or the other depending on the politics of the time. As part of his tour in 1540, James V visited the castle, remarking on its position and strength.

After a period of abandonment by all parties, the castle was repaired and refurbished by Sir Donald MacDonald of Sleat in the early 17th century. For a time Duntulm was known for its feasts, balls and music. Sadly this period of grandeur and enlightenment did not last and the MacDonalds established a home on their lands at Armadale in south Skye. Whilst retaining possession of Duntulm, no chief of the MacDonalds resided there after 1720. By the 1730s the deserted site was being quarried for stone to build a new, smaller residence at Monkstadt, some five miles away.

This partial dismantling, coupled with its exposed position, conspired to hasten the decay and collapse of the structure. The tower walls, once embellished with turrets and decorative stonework, have collapsed and debris fills the vaulted chambers and dungeons. Despite some stabilization work, the castle remains in a somewhat precarious state, although its dramatic setting continues to attract thousands of visitors.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duntulm Castle

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

castles; ruins; coasts

J I R Martin

From a basalt promontory on the north west coast of Trotternish on Skye, Duntulm Castle looks out across the Minch, with Tulm island lying just offshore. The castle ruins are perched on the very edge of 30m cliffs pounded by the sea below: a perfect situation for a structure which was both a secure stronghold and a symbol of strength and chieftainship. <br /> <br /> This dramatic setting was probably the site of one of the many Iron Age duns or forts which dotted the coastline of Skye. The castle may well have been under Norse control for a time, assuming the name 'Dun Dhaibhidh' (David's Fort), but from the 13th century its ownership was hotly disputed by the MacDonalds and MacLeods, and changed hands frequently down the centuries. <br /> <br /> During the 16th century the Crown too became involved. Royal charters were issued granting the stewardship of the Trotternish lands, including the castle, to one clan or the other depending on the politics of the time. As part of his tour in 1540, James V visited the castle, remarking on its position and strength.<br /> <br /> After a period of abandonment by all parties, the castle was repaired and refurbished by Sir Donald MacDonald of Sleat in the early 17th century. For a time Duntulm was known for its feasts, balls and music. Sadly this period of grandeur and enlightenment did not last and the MacDonalds established a home on their lands at Armadale in south Skye. Whilst retaining possession of Duntulm, no chief of the MacDonalds resided there after 1720. By the 1730s the deserted site was being quarried for stone to build a new, smaller residence at Monkstadt, some five miles away.<br /> <br /> This partial dismantling, coupled with its exposed position, conspired to hasten the decay and collapse of the structure. The tower walls, once embellished with turrets and decorative stonework, have collapsed and debris fills the vaulted chambers and dungeons. Despite some stabilization work, the castle remains in a somewhat precarious state, although its dramatic setting continues to attract thousands of visitors.