Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
West Side of Castle Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_LYNN_001
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Gordon Lynn
SOURCE
Gordon Lynn
ASSET ID
29201
KEYWORDS
architecture
plans
buildings
elevations
West Side of Castle Street, Inverness

Plan of the west side of Castle Street as it looked prior to major rebuilding work in the 1930s

On the extreme left of the plan is the Gate House and entrance to Inverness Castle. The first building after the entrance to the Castle is number 106, which was a house. The majority of the buildings on the left were residential properties. The rst of the street comprised a mixture of shops, houses and workshops. On the extreme right of the plan is the Town House.

Castle Street has previously been known as Overgait and Doomsdale, the current name coming into use after 1675. Excavations carried out during the 1980s at the lower end of Castle Street, found evidence of human habitation as far back as 7000 BC. However, there is no evidence to suggest that this habitation has been continuous. Although much of the street was rebuilt in the 1930s, some of its 18th century houses still remain

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

West Side of Castle Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

architecture; plans; buildings; elevations

Gordon Lynn

Plan of the west side of Castle Street as it looked prior to major rebuilding work in the 1930s<br /> <br /> On the extreme left of the plan is the Gate House and entrance to Inverness Castle. The first building after the entrance to the Castle is number 106, which was a house. The majority of the buildings on the left were residential properties. The rst of the street comprised a mixture of shops, houses and workshops. On the extreme right of the plan is the Town House.<br /> <br /> Castle Street has previously been known as Overgait and Doomsdale, the current name coming into use after 1675. Excavations carried out during the 1980s at the lower end of Castle Street, found evidence of human habitation as far back as 7000 BC. However, there is no evidence to suggest that this habitation has been continuous. Although much of the street was rebuilt in the 1930s, some of its 18th century houses still remain