Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Memorial to Kenneth, Elizabeth & Ella Macdonald
EXTERNAL ID
PC_MACKECHNIE_007
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
30 December 2006
PERIOD
2000s
SOURCE
Donald MacKechnie
ASSET ID
29218
KEYWORDS
graveyards
cemeteries
memorials
monuments
Memorial to Kenneth, Elizabeth & Ella Macdonald

This photograph shows the memorial to Kenneth, Elizabeth & Ella Macdonald in Tomnahurich Cemetery, Inverness. Kenneth Macdonald was a lawyer and town clerk of Inverness for 40 years. He was also a volunteer army officer and a champion of the crofters' cause.

Born in Inverness in January 1850, he attended Inverness Royal Academy before being apprenticed to a local solicitor, James Anderson. He left, aged 18, to study law at Glasgow University, where he distinguished himself by winning first prize in Scots Law and a special prize in mercantile and bankruptcy law. Besides attending law classes, he served for three years in the office of Glasgow solicitor William Lucas, whose son William later married Kenneth's only daughter Helen, known as Ella.

Kenneth returned to Inverness as a fully-qualified solicitor at age 21 and set up in practice on his own. He and his wife, Elizabeth Mackenzie, lived at first in High Street then at the mansion 'Beech Lawn', on Culduthel Road.

He championed several crofting communities facing eviction or extortion, including those involved in 1882 in the famous Braes dispute in Skye, when police and crofters clashed over grazings' rights. In addition he supported East Sutherland crofters from Skibo before the new Crofters' Commission and those from Airdens, Bonar Bridge, in the sheriff court.

Kenneth served for many years in the Royal Artillery Volunteers, reaching the rank of colonel, and also as a member of Inverness School Board, helping to organise continuation and technical classes. He was also a member of the Gaelic Society of Inverness and his considerable research into and writings on the burgh's history were recognised with a Fellowship of the Antiquarian Society of Scotland.

Elected to the town council in 1878, he soon became a bailie, but resigned three years later when appointed town clerk, a post he held with distinction until shortly before his death in 1921.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Memorial to Kenneth, Elizabeth & Ella Macdonald

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

2000s

graveyards; cemeteries; memorials; monuments

Donald MacKechnie

This photograph shows the memorial to Kenneth, Elizabeth & Ella Macdonald in Tomnahurich Cemetery, Inverness. Kenneth Macdonald was a lawyer and town clerk of Inverness for 40 years. He was also a volunteer army officer and a champion of the crofters' cause.<br /> <br /> Born in Inverness in January 1850, he attended Inverness Royal Academy before being apprenticed to a local solicitor, James Anderson. He left, aged 18, to study law at Glasgow University, where he distinguished himself by winning first prize in Scots Law and a special prize in mercantile and bankruptcy law. Besides attending law classes, he served for three years in the office of Glasgow solicitor William Lucas, whose son William later married Kenneth's only daughter Helen, known as Ella.<br /> <br /> Kenneth returned to Inverness as a fully-qualified solicitor at age 21 and set up in practice on his own. He and his wife, Elizabeth Mackenzie, lived at first in High Street then at the mansion 'Beech Lawn', on Culduthel Road.<br /> <br /> He championed several crofting communities facing eviction or extortion, including those involved in 1882 in the famous Braes dispute in Skye, when police and crofters clashed over grazings' rights. In addition he supported East Sutherland crofters from Skibo before the new Crofters' Commission and those from Airdens, Bonar Bridge, in the sheriff court.<br /> <br /> Kenneth served for many years in the Royal Artillery Volunteers, reaching the rank of colonel, and also as a member of Inverness School Board, helping to organise continuation and technical classes. He was also a member of the Gaelic Society of Inverness and his considerable research into and writings on the burgh's history were recognised with a Fellowship of the Antiquarian Society of Scotland.<br /> <br /> Elected to the town council in 1878, he soon became a bailie, but resigned three years later when appointed town clerk, a post he held with distinction until shortly before his death in 1921.