Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aignish Memorial
EXTERNAL ID
PC_MACLEAN_HARRIS&LEWIS09_14
PLACENAME
Aignish
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Stornoway
DATE OF IMAGE
7 July 2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Clare Maclean
SOURCE
Clare Maclean
ASSET ID
29236
KEYWORDS
cairns
memorials
monuments
land raids
land riots
crofters
Aignish Memorial

The Aignish Cairn was designed by Will McLean working with Jim Crawford, a stonemason, and John Norgrove, an architect. It is one of three memorials on Lewis commemorating the crofters' fight for land law reform.

On Christmas Day 1887, the crofters of Point met and decided to give the farmer at Aignish two weeks to vacate the farm before they would drive the cattle off and reclaim the land for crofts. When they raided the farm on 9th January 1888 they were met by Marines and policemen. Fighting broke out and Sheriff Fraser read the Riot Act. With the arrival of a company of the Royal Scots the riot dispersed. Thirteen men were arrested and tried in Edinburgh. They were found guilty of mobbing and rioting and given sentences ranging from six months to fifteen months.

It wasn't until 1905 that Aignish farm was finally, officially broken up for crofts.


Design

The Design reflects the idea of confrontation and takes the form of two stone structures of local stone approx 4.5 metres in height, each with a flat face from which jagged stones protrude. These pillars have curved backs and taper in towards the top. The jagged stones face each other, reflecting the aggression and tension of the event.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aignish Memorial

ROSS: Stornoway

2000s

cairns; memorials; monuments; land raids; land riots; crofters;

Clare Maclean

The Aignish Cairn was designed by Will McLean working with Jim Crawford, a stonemason, and John Norgrove, an architect. It is one of three memorials on Lewis commemorating the crofters' fight for land law reform.<br /> <br /> On Christmas Day 1887, the crofters of Point met and decided to give the farmer at Aignish two weeks to vacate the farm before they would drive the cattle off and reclaim the land for crofts. When they raided the farm on 9th January 1888 they were met by Marines and policemen. Fighting broke out and Sheriff Fraser read the Riot Act. With the arrival of a company of the Royal Scots the riot dispersed. Thirteen men were arrested and tried in Edinburgh. They were found guilty of mobbing and rioting and given sentences ranging from six months to fifteen months.<br /> <br /> It wasn't until 1905 that Aignish farm was finally, officially broken up for crofts.<br /> <br /> <br /> <b>Design</b><br /> <br /> The Design reflects the idea of confrontation and takes the form of two stone structures of local stone approx 4.5 metres in height, each with a flat face from which jagged stones protrude. These pillars have curved backs and taper in towards the top. The jagged stones face each other, reflecting the aggression and tension of the event.