Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Stornoway Harbour
EXTERNAL ID
PC_MACLEAN_HARRIS&LEWIS09_25
PLACENAME
Stornoway
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Stornoway
DATE OF IMAGE
8 July 2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Clare Maclean
SOURCE
Clare Maclean
ASSET ID
29245
KEYWORDS
harbours
boats
ships
piers
towns
Stornoway Harbour

Stornoway comes from the Norse for 'Steering Bay' and is situated around one of the best natural harbours in the Western Isles. There has been a settlement around the bay since Neolithic times.

Stornoway was granted a Burgh of Barony by James VI in 1607. At the time Lewis was in the hands of the Macleods of Lewis who were a constant irritant to James VI. In 1610, the King granted Lewis to the Mackenzies of Kintail. In 1844 the Mackenzies sold Lewis to Sir James Matheson who built Lews Castle which overlooks the harbour. The Mathesons, in turn, sold Lewis to Lord Leverhulme in 1918.

Lewis was part of Ross-shire from 1661 until the formation of Western Isles Council in 1975. The Council's headquarters are in Stornoway.

Stornoway's harbour is still busy with freight, ferry and leisure traffic as well as a sizable fishing fleet. It is also home to the Stornoway Lifeboat Station which is run by the RNLI.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Stornoway Harbour

ROSS: Stornoway

2000s

harbours; boats; ships; piers; towns;

Clare Maclean

Stornoway comes from the Norse for 'Steering Bay' and is situated around one of the best natural harbours in the Western Isles. There has been a settlement around the bay since Neolithic times.<br /> <br /> Stornoway was granted a Burgh of Barony by James VI in 1607. At the time Lewis was in the hands of the Macleods of Lewis who were a constant irritant to James VI. In 1610, the King granted Lewis to the Mackenzies of Kintail. In 1844 the Mackenzies sold Lewis to Sir James Matheson who built Lews Castle which overlooks the harbour. The Mathesons, in turn, sold Lewis to Lord Leverhulme in 1918.<br /> <br /> Lewis was part of Ross-shire from 1661 until the formation of Western Isles Council in 1975. The Council's headquarters are in Stornoway.<br /> <br /> Stornoway's harbour is still busy with freight, ferry and leisure traffic as well as a sizable fishing fleet. It is also home to the Stornoway Lifeboat Station which is run by the RNLI.