Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Lews Castle
EXTERNAL ID
PC_MACLEAN_HARRIS&LEWIS09_26
PLACENAME
Stornoway
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Stornoway
DATE OF IMAGE
8 July 2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Clare Maclean
SOURCE
Clare Maclean
ASSET ID
29246
KEYWORDS
castles
houses
schools
colleges
buildings
Lews Castle

Lews Castles stands to the west of Stornoway, overlooking the harbour. It was built between 1847 and 1857 for Sir James Matheson. Matheson was a partner in the Jardine Matheson Company in China and had made his money exporting tea and silk to the UK and illegally trading Indian opium in China. The castle was designed by the architect Charles Wilson and cost £60,000 to build.

In 1918 the Lewis estate, including Lews Castle, was sold to Lord Leverhulme who later gifted the castle to the people of Stornoway. During World War Two it was used as a naval hospital and provided accommodation for 700 Naval Air Squadron. It later housed Lews Castle College before they moved to a new building in the ground in the 1970s. It was then used as Lews Castle School before they were forced to leave by structural problems. The castle is owned by the Council who still have hopes that the building can be saved and put to good use.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Lews Castle

ROSS: Stornoway

2000s

castles; houses; schools; colleges; buildings;

Clare Maclean

Lews Castles stands to the west of Stornoway, overlooking the harbour. It was built between 1847 and 1857 for Sir James Matheson. Matheson was a partner in the Jardine Matheson Company in China and had made his money exporting tea and silk to the UK and illegally trading Indian opium in China. The castle was designed by the architect Charles Wilson and cost £60,000 to build.<br /> <br /> In 1918 the Lewis estate, including Lews Castle, was sold to Lord Leverhulme who later gifted the castle to the people of Stornoway. During World War Two it was used as a naval hospital and provided accommodation for 700 Naval Air Squadron. It later housed Lews Castle College before they moved to a new building in the ground in the 1970s. It was then used as Lews Castle School before they were forced to leave by structural problems. The castle is owned by the Council who still have hopes that the building can be saved and put to good use.