Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
River Ness and churches
EXTERNAL ID
PC_MACLEAN_INVERNESS08_06
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
2008
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Clare Maclean
SOURCE
Clare Maclean
ASSET ID
29253
KEYWORDS
towers
spires
belfries
parapets
steeples
River Ness and churches

Three church buildings are situated close together on the south side of the River Ness. The steeples are, from left to right, those of the Old High Church, the Free North Church and St Columba's High Church.

The Old High Church has stood on St. Michael's Mount since before 1171. Of the medieval church, the West Bell Tower is believed to be the oldest part, dating from the 15th or 16th century. The top of the tower dates from the 17th century and replaces the medieval spire and roof. It has a corbelled parapet and a copper-covered spire. The stone corbel-stones for the original timbers are still in existence inside the belfry. The tower has a clock with four faces, and the bell has been rung at 8 pm almost every evening since 1720. The only time when this was not the case was during World War II.

To the right of the Old High Church is the Free North Church, erected during the years 1889-1893 at the end of the Greig Street bridge. It was designed by Ross and MacBeth and built in the Decorated Gothic Style at a cost of around £10,000. Its steeple is the highest in Inverness with a lucarned spire at the top. On the right of the gabled front can be found a stair tower. The Free North Church can accommodate a congregation of 1300 people.

To the right again is St. Columba's High Church, also known as the Free High Church of Scotland. Situated on the site of an old brewery, it was built between 1851 and 1852 to a Perpendicular Gothic design by MacKenzie and Mathews. It was badly damaged by fire in 1939 but was restored between 1948 and 1953.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

River Ness and churches

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

2000s

towers; spires; belfries; parapets; steeples

Clare Maclean

Three church buildings are situated close together on the south side of the River Ness. The steeples are, from left to right, those of the Old High Church, the Free North Church and St Columba's High Church.<br /> <br /> The Old High Church has stood on St. Michael's Mount since before 1171. Of the medieval church, the West Bell Tower is believed to be the oldest part, dating from the 15th or 16th century. The top of the tower dates from the 17th century and replaces the medieval spire and roof. It has a corbelled parapet and a copper-covered spire. The stone corbel-stones for the original timbers are still in existence inside the belfry. The tower has a clock with four faces, and the bell has been rung at 8 pm almost every evening since 1720. The only time when this was not the case was during World War II.<br /> <br /> To the right of the Old High Church is the Free North Church, erected during the years 1889-1893 at the end of the Greig Street bridge. It was designed by Ross and MacBeth and built in the Decorated Gothic Style at a cost of around £10,000. Its steeple is the highest in Inverness with a lucarned spire at the top. On the right of the gabled front can be found a stair tower. The Free North Church can accommodate a congregation of 1300 people.<br /> <br /> To the right again is St. Columba's High Church, also known as the Free High Church of Scotland. Situated on the site of an old brewery, it was built between 1851 and 1852 to a Perpendicular Gothic design by MacKenzie and Mathews. It was badly damaged by fire in 1939 but was restored between 1948 and 1953.