Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Veranda at old Raigmore Hospital, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_NURSES1_019
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Nurses League of Inverness Hospitals
ASSET ID
29307
KEYWORDS
hospitals
healthcare
patients
Veranda at old Raigmore Hospital, Inverness

This photograph shows patients being treated for tuberculosis osteomyelitis, a bone infection found in TB sufferers, on the veranda outside the orthopaedic ward at the Old Raigmore Hospital in Inverness in the early 1950s.

Old Raigmore, as it is now known, opened in September 1941. As an EMS (Emergency Medical Services) hospital, a specialism was built in from the start and at Raigmore this was orthopaedics (other EMS hospitals had different specialisms). From 1941, there was a resident orthopaedic surgeon and by 1943, Raigmore was a Base Orthopaedic Hospital for the Highlands and Islands under consultant, Richard Murray.

The orthopaedic ward with veranda allowed patients to convalesce outdoors. People lay in plaster for weeks and, like pulmonary TB, fresh air was an essential part of the treatment (people suffering from pulmonary TB were treated at the Infectious Diseases Hospital at Culduthel).

TB was virtually eradicated from the mid-1950s with the innovation of streptomycin and similar drugs.

The first phase of the new Raigmore Hospital was opened in 1983.

[Thanks to Jim Leslie for much of this information.]

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Veranda at old Raigmore Hospital, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

hospitals; healthcare; patients

Nurses League of Inverness Hospitals

Nurses League of Inverness Hospitals

This photograph shows patients being treated for tuberculosis osteomyelitis, a bone infection found in TB sufferers, on the veranda outside the orthopaedic ward at the Old Raigmore Hospital in Inverness in the early 1950s. <br /> <br /> Old Raigmore, as it is now known, opened in September 1941. As an EMS (Emergency Medical Services) hospital, a specialism was built in from the start and at Raigmore this was orthopaedics (other EMS hospitals had different specialisms). From 1941, there was a resident orthopaedic surgeon and by 1943, Raigmore was a Base Orthopaedic Hospital for the Highlands and Islands under consultant, Richard Murray. <br /> <br /> The orthopaedic ward with veranda allowed patients to convalesce outdoors. People lay in plaster for weeks and, like pulmonary TB, fresh air was an essential part of the treatment (people suffering from pulmonary TB were treated at the Infectious Diseases Hospital at Culduthel). <br /> <br /> TB was virtually eradicated from the mid-1950s with the innovation of streptomycin and similar drugs. <br /> <br /> The first phase of the new Raigmore Hospital was opened in 1983.<br /> <br /> [Thanks to Jim Leslie for much of this information.]