Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Official Opening of Ward 17 at the old Raigmore Hospital, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_NURSES1_042
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
22 October 1955
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Nurses League of Inverness Hospitals
ASSET ID
29321
KEYWORDS
health
healthcare
hospitals
Official Opening of Ward 17 at the old Raigmore Hospital, Inverness

'Old' Raigmore Hospital dates back to September 1941, when the first ward was opened to the public. Over the years the hospital was improved and developed. A new maternity wing was opened in April 1951 and this was followed by the opening of Ward 17, the children's ward, on 22 October 1955.

The initial phase of today's 'new' Raigmore Hospital opened in 1970. The new wing contained laboratories, out-patient departments and an accident and emergency unit. Later, in the 1980s, an eight-storey ward block and a new maternity unit were added. Raigmore gradually took over most of the functions of the other smaller hospitals in Inverness, such as Culduthel Hospital, Hilton Hospital and the Royal Northern Infirmary, although the latter has now been given a new lease of life as a community hospital.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Official Opening of Ward 17 at the old Raigmore Hospital, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

health; healthcare; hospitals

Nurses League of Inverness Hospitals

Nurses League of Inverness Hospitals

'Old' Raigmore Hospital dates back to September 1941, when the first ward was opened to the public. Over the years the hospital was improved and developed. A new maternity wing was opened in April 1951 and this was followed by the opening of Ward 17, the children's ward, on 22 October 1955. <br /> <br /> The initial phase of today's 'new' Raigmore Hospital opened in 1970. The new wing contained laboratories, out-patient departments and an accident and emergency unit. Later, in the 1980s, an eight-storey ward block and a new maternity unit were added. Raigmore gradually took over most of the functions of the other smaller hospitals in Inverness, such as Culduthel Hospital, Hilton Hospital and the Royal Northern Infirmary, although the latter has now been given a new lease of life as a community hospital.