Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aerial View of the Royal Infirmary, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_NURSES_MISC_035
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Nurses League of Inverness Hospitals
ASSET ID
29536
KEYWORDS
hospitals
healthcare
Aerial View of the Royal Infirmary, Inverness

This photograph shows an aerial view of the Royal Northern Infirmary (RNI) in Inverness. It is situated near the west bank of the River Ness between Ness Walk and Ballifeary Road (just to the right of the centre of the picture). St Andrews Cathedral is visible in the top-left corner of the image.

The building of the RNI was suggested in 1797 and subscriptions were invited. The driving force behind the project was Provost William Inglis.

It was built between 1799 and 1804 by John Smith of Banff as a three-storeyed main block bracketed by two lower wings. The masons were James and Alexander Nicol of Kintessack, near Forres, and Hugh Suter of Inverness.

Alterations were carried out in 1864-66 by Mathews and Lawrie and a front block was added in 1896-98 by Ross and MacBeth. A Festival of Britain porch was added in 1954.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aerial View of the Royal Infirmary, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

hospitals; healthcare

Nurses League of Inverness Hospitals

Nurses League of Inverness Hospitals

This photograph shows an aerial view of the Royal Northern Infirmary (RNI) in Inverness. It is situated near the west bank of the River Ness between Ness Walk and Ballifeary Road (just to the right of the centre of the picture). St Andrews Cathedral is visible in the top-left corner of the image.<br /> <br /> The building of the RNI was suggested in 1797 and subscriptions were invited. The driving force behind the project was Provost William Inglis. <br /> <br /> It was built between 1799 and 1804 by John Smith of Banff as a three-storeyed main block bracketed by two lower wings. The masons were James and Alexander Nicol of Kintessack, near Forres, and Hugh Suter of Inverness.<br /> <br /> Alterations were carried out in 1864-66 by Mathews and Lawrie and a front block was added in 1896-98 by Ross and MacBeth. A Festival of Britain porch was added in 1954.