Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
High Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_PRISCUS_SCO5210
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
George Washington Wilson
SOURCE
Mark Butterworth - Priscus
ASSET ID
29575
KEYWORDS
George Washington Wilson
Bank of Scotland
Caledonian Bank
Mackenzie and Matthews
Handyside Ritchie
High Street, Inverness

This photograph shows the High Street, Inverness. It was taken by George Washington Wilson (1823 - 1893) an Aberdeen-based photographer who travelled extensively in Scotland, and abroad, taking landscape photographs with the aid of a portable darkroom. He photographed Queen Victoria and was commissioned by her to record the construction of Balmoral.

The elegant building on the left was, from 1907 until recently, the Bank of Scotland. Designed by the architects Mackenzie and Matthews of Elgin, it was built as the head office of the Caledonian Bank in 1847. The balcony has a huge vase at each end carved with garlanded portraits of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Above the Corinthian columns of the portico the tympanum is decorated with allegorical figures of land and sea carved by A. Handyside Ritchie. It is now being redeveloped as a bar

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

High Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s

George Washington Wilson; Bank of Scotland; Caledonian Bank; Mackenzie and Matthews; Handyside Ritchie

Mark Butterworth - Priscus

Imaging the Past

This photograph shows the High Street, Inverness. It was taken by George Washington Wilson (1823 - 1893) an Aberdeen-based photographer who travelled extensively in Scotland, and abroad, taking landscape photographs with the aid of a portable darkroom. He photographed Queen Victoria and was commissioned by her to record the construction of Balmoral.<br /> <br /> The elegant building on the left was, from 1907 until recently, the Bank of Scotland. Designed by the architects Mackenzie and Matthews of Elgin, it was built as the head office of the Caledonian Bank in 1847. The balcony has a huge vase at each end carved with garlanded portraits of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Above the Corinthian columns of the portico the tympanum is decorated with allegorical figures of land and sea carved by A. Handyside Ritchie. It is now being redeveloped as a bar