Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Scalpay Lighthouse
EXTERNAL ID
PC_PRISCUS_WCS6391
PLACENAME
Scalpay
DISTRICT
Harris
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Harris
PERIOD
1890s
CREATOR
George Washington Wilson
SOURCE
Mark Butterworth - Priscus
ASSET ID
29625
KEYWORDS
lochs
Tarbet
islands
lighthouses
mariners
Harris
wool
tweed
industry
shuttles
Scalpay Lighthouse

This photograph was taken by Scottish photographer George Washington Wilson (1823-93) and was used to illustrate talks he gave on Highland history. The following description is taken from Washington Wilson's own lecture notes.

Sheltering East Loch Tarbet from the N.E. winds is the island of Scalpay on which is erected a substantial lighthouse to guide the mariner.

In Harris considerable attention is given to wool-gathering, and the name of this part of the Island has for a long time been attached to a particular kind of tweed manufactured there. Every branch of this particular industry is carried out entirely on the home principle, and in their dismal ill-lighted huts the sound of the shuttle, &c, may be heard daily.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Scalpay Lighthouse

INVERNESS: Harris

1890s

lochs; Tarbet; islands; lighthouses; mariners; Harris; wool; tweed; industry; shuttles

Mark Butterworth - Priscus

Imaging the Past

This photograph was taken by Scottish photographer George Washington Wilson (1823-93) and was used to illustrate talks he gave on Highland history. The following description is taken from Washington Wilson's own lecture notes.<br /> <br /> Sheltering East Loch Tarbet from the N.E. winds is the island of Scalpay on which is erected a substantial lighthouse to guide the mariner.<br /> <br /> In Harris considerable attention is given to wool-gathering, and the name of this part of the Island has for a long time been attached to a particular kind of tweed manufactured there. Every branch of this particular industry is carried out entirely on the home principle, and in their dismal ill-lighted huts the sound of the shuttle, &c, may be heard daily.