Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Locks at Fort Augustus
EXTERNAL ID
PC_PWG_POSTCARDS_024
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
1904
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
PFW Grant
ASSET ID
29684
KEYWORDS
postcards
canals
The Locks at Fort Augustus

This postcard from around 1904 shows the Caledonian Canal locks at Fort Augustus, Inverness-shire. A flight of five locks run through Fort Augustus, as the Caledonian Canal drops down to join Loch Ness.

The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were then able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie near the western end of the waterway. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803, by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Locks at Fort Augustus

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1900s

postcards; canals

PFW Grant

This postcard from around 1904 shows the Caledonian Canal locks at Fort Augustus, Inverness-shire. A flight of five locks run through Fort Augustus, as the Caledonian Canal drops down to join Loch Ness.<br /> <br /> The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were then able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie near the western end of the waterway. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803, by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47