Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Castle Grant, near Grantown-on-Spey, Moray
EXTERNAL ID
PC_PWG_POSTCARDS_040
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
DATE OF IMAGE
20 March 1905
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
PFW Grant
ASSET ID
29699
KEYWORDS
postcards
castles
Clan Grant
Castle Grant, near Grantown-on-Spey, Moray

This postcard shows a view of Castle Grant, near Grantown-on-Spey, Strathspey. The castle was the former seat of the Grant chiefs of Strathspey. The original tower was built in the 15th century by the Comyns of Badenoch.

Previously named Castle Freuchie, it became the principal residence of the Grants in 1693. Despite the fact that the Grants were government supporters, the castle was occupied by Jacobites during both the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite Risings.

The original L-shaped tower was extended in 1765 by Sir Ludovic Grant, into the castle which remains today. The castle eventually fell into disrepair but was refurbished in the 1990s and is now a private residence

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Castle Grant, near Grantown-on-Spey, Moray

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

1900s

postcards; castles; Clan Grant

PFW Grant

This postcard shows a view of Castle Grant, near Grantown-on-Spey, Strathspey. The castle was the former seat of the Grant chiefs of Strathspey. The original tower was built in the 15th century by the Comyns of Badenoch. <br /> <br /> Previously named Castle Freuchie, it became the principal residence of the Grants in 1693. Despite the fact that the Grants were government supporters, the castle was occupied by Jacobites during both the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite Risings. <br /> <br /> The original L-shaped tower was extended in 1765 by Sir Ludovic Grant, into the castle which remains today. The castle eventually fell into disrepair but was refurbished in the 1990s and is now a private residence