Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fort Augustus from the West
EXTERNAL ID
PC_PWG_POSTCARDS_050
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
1956
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
PFW Grant
ASSET ID
29708
KEYWORDS
postcards
canals
abbeys
forts
Fort Augustus from the West

This postcard shows Fort Augustus from the west. Fort Augustus is situated on the south west end of Loch Ness where it meets the Caledonian Canal. It was originally named after St Cummein and in Gaelic the name is still Cille Chumein.

General Wade built a fort in the area in 1730 and the town grew up around it. The fort was named after one of George II's sons who became Duke of Cumberland, the famous 'Butcher' of Culloden. The remains of the original fort were incorporated into a Benedictine Abbey in the 19th century

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fort Augustus from the West

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1950s

postcards; canals; abbeys; forts

PFW Grant

This postcard shows Fort Augustus from the west. Fort Augustus is situated on the south west end of Loch Ness where it meets the Caledonian Canal. It was originally named after St Cummein and in Gaelic the name is still Cille Chumein. <br /> <br /> General Wade built a fort in the area in 1730 and the town grew up around it. The fort was named after one of George II's sons who became Duke of Cumberland, the famous 'Butcher' of Culloden. The remains of the original fort were incorporated into a Benedictine Abbey in the 19th century