Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
PC_RAMSAY_025
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
William J Grant
SOURCE
William J Ramsay
ASSET ID
29730
KEYWORDS
village
Public Hall
rail terminus
road
Kyle of Lochalsh

This photograph gives a good view of Kyle of Lochalsh in the 1960s. The rail terminus and pier, opened in 1897 provided the reason for the rise in prosperity and population of the village. Kyle then became a major port for steamers, and the main point of access to the Isle of Skye. Land was likely acquired for a nominal price in the early days allowing for construction of substantial houses, shops and hotels. The Kyle Public Hall, in the lower right of the photograph was officially opened on 18th April 1932. The road running in front of the Hall is the route leading out of the village to Badicaul, then on to either Plockton or Balmacara. In the early 1970s a coastal road was opened offering a direct route from Balmacara to Kyle

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1960s

village; Public Hall; rail terminus; road

William J Ramsay

William J Ramsay Archive

This photograph gives a good view of Kyle of Lochalsh in the 1960s. The rail terminus and pier, opened in 1897 provided the reason for the rise in prosperity and population of the village. Kyle then became a major port for steamers, and the main point of access to the Isle of Skye. Land was likely acquired for a nominal price in the early days allowing for construction of substantial houses, shops and hotels. The Kyle Public Hall, in the lower right of the photograph was officially opened on 18th April 1932. The road running in front of the Hall is the route leading out of the village to Badicaul, then on to either Plockton or Balmacara. In the early 1970s a coastal road was opened offering a direct route from Balmacara to Kyle