Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyle of Lochalsh in Springtime
EXTERNAL ID
PC_RAMSAY_028
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
William J Ramsay
ASSET ID
29733
KEYWORDS
village
Glenquithel
Church of Scotland
Kyle of Lochalsh in Springtime

This is an early scene of Kyle of Lochalsh with houses standing out on the treeless hillside, and a light covering of snow still on the Skye hills across the Kyle. Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, opened a Pharmacy in Kyle in 1912. His house - Glenquithel - is in the right foreground. This style of building was different from most of the dwellings built at that time, and probably, like the name, reflects the area in Aberdeenshire, where he spent his boyhood years. The Church of Scotland, by John Robertson, was opened in 1901 with the vestry added in 1915. The expansion of Kyle was due to the railway extension from Stromeferry being completed in 1897. The roof of the large engine shed, used for repairs on the train carriages and engines is central left, side on in this photo


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyle of Lochalsh in Springtime

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

village; Glenquithel; Church of Scotland

William J Ramsay

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This is an early scene of Kyle of Lochalsh with houses standing out on the treeless hillside, and a light covering of snow still on the Skye hills across the Kyle. Duncan Macpherson, the photographer, opened a Pharmacy in Kyle in 1912. His house - Glenquithel - is in the right foreground. This style of building was different from most of the dwellings built at that time, and probably, like the name, reflects the area in Aberdeenshire, where he spent his boyhood years. The Church of Scotland, by John Robertson, was opened in 1901 with the vestry added in 1915. The expansion of Kyle was due to the railway extension from Stromeferry being completed in 1897. The roof of the large engine shed, used for repairs on the train carriages and engines is central left, side on in this photo <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href=""mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com"">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />