Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Charles W Murray, Lochcarron
EXTERNAL ID
PC_RAMSAY_048
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
1940
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
William J Ramsay
ASSET ID
29742
KEYWORDS
Charles Murray
Colin Campbell
Dornie Bridge
Charles W Murray, Lochcarron

Dornie Bridge was officially opened on 30th April 1940, with Mr Charles Murray, Lochcarron presiding over the ceremonies. Mr Murray, and Mr Colin Campbell of Sheil House, who cut the ribbon, had been great promoters of the bridge for years, although local support had certainly not always been behind them. Mr Murray had been Chairman of the Lochcarron, Kyle and Dornie District Committee, and in his remarks at the opening he indicated that the path had not always been easy, but questions were settled in the committee first then they would take on everyone else, thus giving great credit to that committee. He continued in his speech to tell of his belief in the future of the West coast, that the country would be developed for the good of the people and the good of the Empire, supporting a happy, prosperous population. He then handed proceedings over to Mr Colin Campbell who paid tribute to Mr Murray for using his power and influence in the right direction, persuading the authorities. Following the opening, Mr Murray presided over a luncheon at the Loch Duich Hotel.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Charles W Murray, Lochcarron

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s

Charles Murray; Colin Campbell; Dornie Bridge

William J Ramsay

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Dornie Bridge was officially opened on 30th April 1940, with Mr Charles Murray, Lochcarron presiding over the ceremonies. Mr Murray, and Mr Colin Campbell of Sheil House, who cut the ribbon, had been great promoters of the bridge for years, although local support had certainly not always been behind them. Mr Murray had been Chairman of the Lochcarron, Kyle and Dornie District Committee, and in his remarks at the opening he indicated that the path had not always been easy, but questions were settled in the committee first then they would take on everyone else, thus giving great credit to that committee. He continued in his speech to tell of his belief in the future of the West coast, that the country would be developed for the good of the people and the good of the Empire, supporting a happy, prosperous population. He then handed proceedings over to Mr Colin Campbell who paid tribute to Mr Murray for using his power and influence in the right direction, persuading the authorities. Following the opening, Mr Murray presided over a luncheon at the Loch Duich Hotel. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href=""mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com"">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>