Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornie Bridge Construction
EXTERNAL ID
PC_RAMSAY_051
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
William J Ramsay
SOURCE
William J Ramsay
ASSET ID
29744
KEYWORDS
Dornie bridge
tolls
construction
mechanics
Dornie Bridge Construction

Dornie Bridge, situated at the meeting of Loch Duich, Loch Alsh and Loch Long, was officially opened on Tuesday 30th April 1940 and replaced a ferry which had served Dornie, Ardelve and Totaig.

When the project was proposed in the late 1920s, the local community was split between those who viewed the construction as positive in making more accessible the route to Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye, and those who felt the bridge would destroy the scenery surrounding Eilean Donan Castle and who preferred a new road following Loch Long and linking with a route to Inverness.

There were still several problems to surmount including opposition to the design of the bridge and the necessity of incorporating an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway. The time needed to open the bridge, allow boats to pass through, and close the bridge would amount to similar time as waiting for the ferry. Also it was thought that four men would be needed to open the span in high winds. An application was made for funds to assist with the purchase of a petrol-electrical mechanism which would make the operation easier, but which had not been budgeted for initially, but no further money was available. It was decided to go ahead with construction of a lifting mechanism which could be operated by hand. This photograph shows the opening span in operation during construction.

The outbreak of World War II saw a reduction in available labour which further delayed the project.

A bridge operator, Mr John C Matheson from Achtertyre, was hired in March 1940 and paid a salary of £3.10s per week. He was required to reside in Dornie, be available daily from 7am to 11pm, and provide a suitable replacement if he was unavailable.

The structure itself was 750 feet long, with a roadway of 16½ feet, and a walkway of 5 feet. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway.

Tolls came into effect on 1st May 1940, but were abandoned in 1946. This bridge was replaced with a much larger two lane structure in 1991

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornie Bridge Construction

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

Dornie bridge; tolls; construction; mechanics

William J Ramsay

William J Ramsay Archive

Dornie Bridge, situated at the meeting of Loch Duich, Loch Alsh and Loch Long, was officially opened on Tuesday 30th April 1940 and replaced a ferry which had served Dornie, Ardelve and Totaig.<br /> <br /> When the project was proposed in the late 1920s, the local community was split between those who viewed the construction as positive in making more accessible the route to Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye, and those who felt the bridge would destroy the scenery surrounding Eilean Donan Castle and who preferred a new road following Loch Long and linking with a route to Inverness. <br /> <br /> There were still several problems to surmount including opposition to the design of the bridge and the necessity of incorporating an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway. The time needed to open the bridge, allow boats to pass through, and close the bridge would amount to similar time as waiting for the ferry. Also it was thought that four men would be needed to open the span in high winds. An application was made for funds to assist with the purchase of a petrol-electrical mechanism which would make the operation easier, but which had not been budgeted for initially, but no further money was available. It was decided to go ahead with construction of a lifting mechanism which could be operated by hand. This photograph shows the opening span in operation during construction. <br /> <br /> The outbreak of World War II saw a reduction in available labour which further delayed the project.<br /> <br /> A bridge operator, Mr John C Matheson from Achtertyre, was hired in March 1940 and paid a salary of £3.10s per week. He was required to reside in Dornie, be available daily from 7am to 11pm, and provide a suitable replacement if he was unavailable.<br /> <br /> The structure itself was 750 feet long, with a roadway of 16½ feet, and a walkway of 5 feet. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway.<br /> <br /> Tolls came into effect on 1st May 1940, but were abandoned in 1946. This bridge was replaced with a much larger two lane structure in 1991