Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornie Bridge Construction
EXTERNAL ID
PC_RAMSAY_053
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
William J Ramsay
SOURCE
William J Ramsay
ASSET ID
29746
KEYWORDS
Dornie
bridge
construction
tolls
Dornie Bridge Construction

Dornie Bridge, situated at the meeting of Loch Duich, Loch Alsh and Loch Long, was officially opened on Tuesday 30th April 1940 and replaced a ferry which had served Dornie, Ardelve and Totaig.

When the project was proposed in the late 1920s, the local community was split between those who viewed the construction as positive in making more accessible the route to Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye, and those who felt the bridge would destroy the scenery surrounding Eilean Donan Castle and who preferred a new road following Loch Long and linking with a route to Inverness.

There were still several problems to surmount including opposition to the design of the bridge and the necessity of incorporating an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway. The outbreak of World War II saw a reduction in available labour which further delayed the project.

A bridge operator, Mr John C Matheson from Achtertyre, was hired in March 1940 and paid a salary of £3.10s per week. He was required to reside in Dornie, be available daily from 7am to 11pm, and provide a suitable replacement if he was unavailable.

The structure itself was 750 feet long, with a roadway of 16½ feet, and a walkway of 5 feet. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway.

Tolls came into effect on 1st May 1940, but were abandoned in 1946. This bridge was replaced with a much larger two lane structure in 1991.

This photograph shows the bridge construction well underway. The houses in the background are part of Dornie village, with the main road along the waterfront. During the course of construction, the owner of the Dornie Hotel, on several occasions, wrote to the Highways Committee with complaints of the construction impacting on his business. These included complaints of traffic congestion in front of the hotel, loss of parking space, and the obstruction of the view. This photograph clearly shows how near the bridge was to the Hotel, and one can see how the owner felt he had quite legitimate complaints. Compensation for these claims was requested, but the Committee, taking all circumstances into account, decided against any compensation

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornie Bridge Construction

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

Dornie; bridge; construction; tolls

William J Ramsay

William J Ramsay Archive

Dornie Bridge, situated at the meeting of Loch Duich, Loch Alsh and Loch Long, was officially opened on Tuesday 30th April 1940 and replaced a ferry which had served Dornie, Ardelve and Totaig.<br /> <br /> When the project was proposed in the late 1920s, the local community was split between those who viewed the construction as positive in making more accessible the route to Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye, and those who felt the bridge would destroy the scenery surrounding Eilean Donan Castle and who preferred a new road following Loch Long and linking with a route to Inverness. <br /> <br /> There were still several problems to surmount including opposition to the design of the bridge and the necessity of incorporating an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway. The outbreak of World War II saw a reduction in available labour which further delayed the project.<br /> <br /> A bridge operator, Mr John C Matheson from Achtertyre, was hired in March 1940 and paid a salary of £3.10s per week. He was required to reside in Dornie, be available daily from 7am to 11pm, and provide a suitable replacement if he was unavailable.<br /> <br /> The structure itself was 750 feet long, with a roadway of 16½ feet, and a walkway of 5 feet. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway.<br /> <br /> Tolls came into effect on 1st May 1940, but were abandoned in 1946. This bridge was replaced with a much larger two lane structure in 1991.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows the bridge construction well underway. The houses in the background are part of Dornie village, with the main road along the waterfront. During the course of construction, the owner of the Dornie Hotel, on several occasions, wrote to the Highways Committee with complaints of the construction impacting on his business. These included complaints of traffic congestion in front of the hotel, loss of parking space, and the obstruction of the view. This photograph clearly shows how near the bridge was to the Hotel, and one can see how the owner felt he had quite legitimate complaints. Compensation for these claims was requested, but the Committee, taking all circumstances into account, decided against any compensation