Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornie Bridge Construction
EXTERNAL ID
PC_RAMSAY_056
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
William J Ramsay
SOURCE
William J Ramsay
ASSET ID
29749
KEYWORDS
Dornie bridge construction
tolls
Ardelve
Dornie Bridge Construction

Dornie Bridge, situated at the meeting of Loch Duich, Loch Alsh and Loch Long, was officially opened on Tuesday 30th April 1940 and replaced a ferry which had served Dornie, Ardelve and Totaig.

When the project was proposed in the late 1920s, the local community was split between those who viewed the construction as positive in making more accessible the route to Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye, and those who felt the bridge would destroy the scenery surrounding Eilean Donan Castle and who preferred a new road following Loch Long and linking with a route to Inverness.

The outbreak of World War II saw a reduction in available labour which further delayed the project.

A bridge operator, Mr John C Matheson from Achtertyre, was hired in March 1940 and paid a salary of £3.10s per week. He was required to reside in Dornie, be available daily from 7am to 11pm, and provide a suitable replacement if he was unavailable.

The structure itself was 750 feet long, with a roadway of 16½ feet, and a walkway of 5 feet. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway.

Tolls came into effect on 1st May 1940, but were abandoned in 1946. This bridge was replaced with a much larger two lane structure in 1991.

This photograph shows the bridge construction being examined by two gentlemen. They appear to be looking at the opening span of the bridge, which provoked controversy in the planning stages. It appeared that the span, which would allow boats access to Loch Long, would require more than one person to operate in high winds. A proposal was made to purchase a petrol-electrical mechanism to assist the opening, but the extra cost for this was not approved, leaving the one worker to manoeuvre the span. In the background is Ardelve, from where the ferry used to run to Dornie and Totaig

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornie Bridge Construction

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

Dornie bridge construction; tolls; Ardelve

William J Ramsay

William J Ramsay Archive

Dornie Bridge, situated at the meeting of Loch Duich, Loch Alsh and Loch Long, was officially opened on Tuesday 30th April 1940 and replaced a ferry which had served Dornie, Ardelve and Totaig.<br /> <br /> When the project was proposed in the late 1920s, the local community was split between those who viewed the construction as positive in making more accessible the route to Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye, and those who felt the bridge would destroy the scenery surrounding Eilean Donan Castle and who preferred a new road following Loch Long and linking with a route to Inverness. <br /> <br /> The outbreak of World War II saw a reduction in available labour which further delayed the project.<br /> <br /> A bridge operator, Mr John C Matheson from Achtertyre, was hired in March 1940 and paid a salary of £3.10s per week. He was required to reside in Dornie, be available daily from 7am to 11pm, and provide a suitable replacement if he was unavailable.<br /> <br /> The structure itself was 750 feet long, with a roadway of 16½ feet, and a walkway of 5 feet. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway.<br /> <br /> Tolls came into effect on 1st May 1940, but were abandoned in 1946. This bridge was replaced with a much larger two lane structure in 1991.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows the bridge construction being examined by two gentlemen. They appear to be looking at the opening span of the bridge, which provoked controversy in the planning stages. It appeared that the span, which would allow boats access to Loch Long, would require more than one person to operate in high winds. A proposal was made to purchase a petrol-electrical mechanism to assist the opening, but the extra cost for this was not approved, leaving the one worker to manoeuvre the span. In the background is Ardelve, from where the ferry used to run to Dornie and Totaig