Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornie Bridge Construction
EXTERNAL ID
PC_RAMSAY_057
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
William J Ramsay
SOURCE
William J Ramsay
ASSET ID
29750
KEYWORDS
Dornie bridge
Ardelve
contractors
Dornie Bridge Construction

Dornie Bridge, situated at the meeting of Loch Duich, Loch Alsh and Loch Long, was officially opened on Tuesday 30th April 1940 and replaced a ferry which had served Dornie, Ardelve and Totaig.

When the project was proposed in the late 1920s, the local community was split between those who viewed the construction as positive in making more accessible the route to Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye, and those who felt the bridge would destroy the scenery surrounding Eilean Donan Castle and who preferred a new road following Loch Long and linking with a route to Inverness.

There were still several problems to surmount including opposition to the design of the bridge and the necessity of incorporating an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway. The outbreak of World War II saw a reduction in available labour which further delayed the project.

A bridge operator, Mr John C Matheson from Achtertyre, was hired in March 1940 and paid a salary of £3.10s per week. He was required to reside in Dornie, be available daily from 7am to 11pm, and provide a suitable replacement if he was unavailable.

The structure itself was 750 feet long, with a roadway of 16½ feet, and a walkway of 5 feet. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway.
Tolls came into effect on 1st May 1940, but were abandoned in 1946. This bridge was replaced with a much larger two lane structure in 1991.

This photograph shows workmen on the shore at Ardelve from where the bridge crosses Loch Long to Dornie. The village of Dornie stretching along the shoreline of Loch Long was originally laid out by the British Fisheries Society in 1794. The contractors for the construction was William Tawse Ltd of Aberdeen, with local men being hired as labourers and subcontractors

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornie Bridge Construction

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

Dornie bridge; Ardelve; contractors

William J Ramsay

William J Ramsay Archive

Dornie Bridge, situated at the meeting of Loch Duich, Loch Alsh and Loch Long, was officially opened on Tuesday 30th April 1940 and replaced a ferry which had served Dornie, Ardelve and Totaig.<br /> <br /> When the project was proposed in the late 1920s, the local community was split between those who viewed the construction as positive in making more accessible the route to Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye, and those who felt the bridge would destroy the scenery surrounding Eilean Donan Castle and who preferred a new road following Loch Long and linking with a route to Inverness. <br /> <br /> There were still several problems to surmount including opposition to the design of the bridge and the necessity of incorporating an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway. The outbreak of World War II saw a reduction in available labour which further delayed the project.<br /> <br /> A bridge operator, Mr John C Matheson from Achtertyre, was hired in March 1940 and paid a salary of £3.10s per week. He was required to reside in Dornie, be available daily from 7am to 11pm, and provide a suitable replacement if he was unavailable.<br /> <br /> The structure itself was 750 feet long, with a roadway of 16½ feet, and a walkway of 5 feet. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway.<br /> Tolls came into effect on 1st May 1940, but were abandoned in 1946. This bridge was replaced with a much larger two lane structure in 1991.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows workmen on the shore at Ardelve from where the bridge crosses Loch Long to Dornie. The village of Dornie stretching along the shoreline of Loch Long was originally laid out by the British Fisheries Society in 1794. The contractors for the construction was William Tawse Ltd of Aberdeen, with local men being hired as labourers and subcontractors