Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ferrying a Bus from Dornie
EXTERNAL ID
PC_RAMSAY_075
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
William J Ramsay
ASSET ID
29756
KEYWORDS
ferry
bus
Ferrying a Bus from Dornie

Before the bridge was opened in 1940, which connected Ardelve and Dornie over Loch Long, vehicles and passengers made the crossing by boat. The ferry service also included Totaig on the far side of Loch Duich, which would have been used by people travelling to and from Ratagan and Glenelg. Ferries to carry buses and other vehicles were equipped with a turntable and ramps for loading, and in this photograph, there is room for one vehicle and no more.

The bus has been identified as a Bedford WLB chassis, serial number 109467, registered WG2349. It was built in June 1934 and carried 14 passengers in coach type seats.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ferrying a Bus from Dornie

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

ferry; bus

William J Ramsay

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Before the bridge was opened in 1940, which connected Ardelve and Dornie over Loch Long, vehicles and passengers made the crossing by boat. The ferry service also included Totaig on the far side of Loch Duich, which would have been used by people travelling to and from Ratagan and Glenelg. Ferries to carry buses and other vehicles were equipped with a turntable and ramps for loading, and in this photograph, there is room for one vehicle and no more. <br /> <br /> The bus has been identified as a Bedford WLB chassis, serial number 109467, registered WG2349. It was built in June 1934 and carried 14 passengers in coach type seats.<br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href=""mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com"">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>