Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Looking out from Smoo Cave, Durness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_REID_001
PLACENAME
Durness
DISTRICT
Eddrachillis and Durness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Durness
DATE OF IMAGE
October 2007
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Robert Reid
SOURCE
Robert Reid
ASSET ID
29766
KEYWORDS
Smoo Cave
Durness
Sutherland
smuggling
Sir Walter Scott
tourist attraction
Looking out from Smoo Cave, Durness

Looking out from Smoo Cave, Durness, Sutherland. This limestone cavern on the coast at Durness is over 200 ft long and 100 ft wide and consists of three chambers. A burn enters the second chamber through a hole in the roof, falling a distance of 80 feet.

The cave is ideally situated for smuggling as it has access from the sea via a long and narrow sea loch where high cliffs provide shelter in bad weather. There are various mystical legends associated with the cave and it was made even more famous by Sir Walter Scott's visit in 1814. In more recent years engineers have built a stepped path down to the cave entrance

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Looking out from Smoo Cave, Durness

SUTHERLAND: Durness

2000s

Smoo Cave; Durness; Sutherland; smuggling; Sir Walter Scott; tourist attraction

Robert Reid

Looking out from Smoo Cave, Durness, Sutherland. This limestone cavern on the coast at Durness is over 200 ft long and 100 ft wide and consists of three chambers. A burn enters the second chamber through a hole in the roof, falling a distance of 80 feet. <br /> <br /> The cave is ideally situated for smuggling as it has access from the sea via a long and narrow sea loch where high cliffs provide shelter in bad weather. There are various mystical legends associated with the cave and it was made even more famous by Sir Walter Scott's visit in 1814. In more recent years engineers have built a stepped path down to the cave entrance