Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Primary Department of Inverness Royal Academy
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY2_009
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1992
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29896
KEYWORDS
schools
education
buildings
classes
The Primary Department of Inverness Royal Academy

This photograph shows the Primary Department of Inverness Royal Academy. It was taken for a 1992 exhibition which marked the bicentenary of the Academy. At the left of the photograph a small section of the Assembly Hall, part of a further extension opened in August 1960, is visible.

In the early part of the twentieth century, the number of pupils attending Inverness Royal Academy grew under the leadership of a number of excellent Rectors. This led to pressure on the accommodation in the building erected in 1895. Pupils ranged in age from about 5 years to the university entrance age of about 17 or 18, so there was both a lower school and an upper school (corresponding to Primary and Secondary Departments today).

In 1913 a science, art and gymnasium block had been added to the south west of the original building, running along Midmills Road. In October 1920, Inverness Burgh Schools Management Committee agreed in principle to build a new Primary Department to accommodate 200 pupils. The original idea was a two-storey block of eight classrooms behind the north end of the Academy main building. Based on the sketch plans at the start of 1922 the extension was expected to cost between £10,500 and £13,500. In the end a loan of £10,030 was required to build a one-storey extension which ran along the north side of the school grounds, only partly linked to the main building, at effectively the same cost as the main building thirty years earlier.

Seven classrooms, each capable of seating 40 pupils, were set along a central corridor which also linked to the original building. A staffroom and toilets were also provided. At the far end of the corridor was a large hall, for "drill", assemblies and events.

The formal opening of the Primary Department extension was on 2 December 1925. The ceremony was performed by Dr George Macdonald, Secretary of the Scottish Education Department, using a gold key. The primary school was phased out in the late 1950s, with the last Primary 7 class moving on into Secondary School in June 1961. The building was then converted to provide accommodation for home economics, a girls' gymnasium and a ladies' staffroom.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Primary Department of Inverness Royal Academy

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1990s

schools; education; buildings; classes

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

This photograph shows the Primary Department of Inverness Royal Academy. It was taken for a 1992 exhibition which marked the bicentenary of the Academy. At the left of the photograph a small section of the Assembly Hall, part of a further extension opened in August 1960, is visible.<br /> <br /> In the early part of the twentieth century, the number of pupils attending Inverness Royal Academy grew under the leadership of a number of excellent Rectors. This led to pressure on the accommodation in the building erected in 1895. Pupils ranged in age from about 5 years to the university entrance age of about 17 or 18, so there was both a lower school and an upper school (corresponding to Primary and Secondary Departments today). <br /> <br /> In 1913 a science, art and gymnasium block had been added to the south west of the original building, running along Midmills Road. In October 1920, Inverness Burgh Schools Management Committee agreed in principle to build a new Primary Department to accommodate 200 pupils. The original idea was a two-storey block of eight classrooms behind the north end of the Academy main building. Based on the sketch plans at the start of 1922 the extension was expected to cost between £10,500 and £13,500. In the end a loan of £10,030 was required to build a one-storey extension which ran along the north side of the school grounds, only partly linked to the main building, at effectively the same cost as the main building thirty years earlier. <br /> <br /> Seven classrooms, each capable of seating 40 pupils, were set along a central corridor which also linked to the original building. A staffroom and toilets were also provided. At the far end of the corridor was a large hall, for "drill", assemblies and events.<br /> <br /> The formal opening of the Primary Department extension was on 2 December 1925. The ceremony was performed by Dr George Macdonald, Secretary of the Scottish Education Department, using a gold key. The primary school was phased out in the late 1950s, with the last Primary 7 class moving on into Secondary School in June 1961. The building was then converted to provide accommodation for home economics, a girls' gymnasium and a ladies' staffroom.