Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Royal Academy 1960 extension, photographed in 1992
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY2_010
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1992
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29897
KEYWORDS
schools
education
buildings
classes
Inverness Royal Academy 1960 extension, photographed in 1992

The 1960 extension to Inverness Royal Academy was the third extension to the school on the Midmills site, following the relocation from Academy Street in 1895. The first extension was the science, art and gymnasium block to the south-east of the original building, and this was opened in 1913. The Primary Department was opened in 1925, and this lay to the north-east. The 1960 extension, opened in August of that year, completed the square, producing an internal quadrangle behind the original building.

The accommodation was mainly an assembly hall linked to a dining area with kitchens. Previously the only large area apart from the gymnasia was the central hall of the old building, which was far too small for school assemblies and similar events. School meals had been taken in an annex to the Crown Primary School across Midmills Road, and as a result large numbers of pupils either went home or went to bakers' shops and similar places for their lunch. The main hall was equipped as a theatre, and was used for a wide range of productions in the 1960s and 1970s. An electric organ was purchased at a cost of £1500, which was used to accompany hymns at the school's morning assembly.

This photograph was taken in 1992 for use in the exhibition to mark the bicentenary of the school. It is taken from Midmills Road, showing the classrooms which faced roughly south. These included a science laboratory (ground floor, left), a technical workshop (primarily for woodwork) (ground floor, right), and four general classrooms upstairs which were used for history (left) and geography (right) classes. Toilets and cloakroom areas were provided for pupils, and a male staffroom was created to complement the female staffroom in the former primary department building. There was also an office for the depute rector.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Royal Academy 1960 extension, photographed in 1992

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1990s

schools; education; buildings; classes

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

The 1960 extension to Inverness Royal Academy was the third extension to the school on the Midmills site, following the relocation from Academy Street in 1895. The first extension was the science, art and gymnasium block to the south-east of the original building, and this was opened in 1913. The Primary Department was opened in 1925, and this lay to the north-east. The 1960 extension, opened in August of that year, completed the square, producing an internal quadrangle behind the original building.<br /> <br /> The accommodation was mainly an assembly hall linked to a dining area with kitchens. Previously the only large area apart from the gymnasia was the central hall of the old building, which was far too small for school assemblies and similar events. School meals had been taken in an annex to the Crown Primary School across Midmills Road, and as a result large numbers of pupils either went home or went to bakers' shops and similar places for their lunch. The main hall was equipped as a theatre, and was used for a wide range of productions in the 1960s and 1970s. An electric organ was purchased at a cost of £1500, which was used to accompany hymns at the school's morning assembly.<br /> <br /> This photograph was taken in 1992 for use in the exhibition to mark the bicentenary of the school. It is taken from Midmills Road, showing the classrooms which faced roughly south. These included a science laboratory (ground floor, left), a technical workshop (primarily for woodwork) (ground floor, right), and four general classrooms upstairs which were used for history (left) and geography (right) classes. Toilets and cloakroom areas were provided for pupils, and a male staffroom was created to complement the female staffroom in the former primary department building. There was also an office for the depute rector.