Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Royal Academy: School Bell
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY2_012
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1992
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29899
KEYWORDS
schools
educations
bells
teachers
staff
rectors
Inverness Royal Academy: School Bell

The Inverness Royal Academy School Bell is one of a number of items that link the Academy with the Inverness Grammar School that came before it, located in the building known today as the Dunbar Centre in Church Street. The bell was the gift of Hector Fraser, who was Rector of the Grammar School from 1755 to 1777. The inscription on the bell reads:

Ex Dono Hectoris Fraserii Ludimagistri Invernessensis 1756
A Gift of Hector Fraser, Schoolmaster at Inverness, 1756

A bust of Hector Fraser exists, carved by Westmacott, and is on display in the school.

In the minutes of the Directors of the Academy for 1793, there is an instruction that the bell was to be taken down from the Grammar School, and "put up in such a place in the Academy as they shall find it will be best heard in". This was at the original Royal Academy building (opened in 1792) in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. A wooden belfry was erected, but by 1832 it needed repair at a cost of £40. This was thought to be too expensive, so a temporary belfry was erected on the janitor's house.

In 1895, the bell was moved to the new school building in the Crown district, where a purpose-built belfry was provided above the front door. Many pupils would plead with the janitor to be allowed to ring the bell from the gallery on the first floor. It called generations of pupils to their classes at the start of the day and after lunch, except during the War years when the ringing of bells was prohibited, other than in the event of an imminent invasion of the country.

The final move for the bell was in 1982, some years after the opening of the new building at Culduthel. The bell was taken down from the Crown building and eventually mounted in a display case specially built by Alan Beattie, who for many years was head of technical subjects at the Academy. This photograph, taken in 1992, the year of the school's bicentenary, shows Ian Fraser (Rector 1971 to 1993) (left) and Norman Cordiner (then Chairman or the School Board) (right), beside the bell case at Culduthel.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Royal Academy: School Bell

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1990s

schools; educations; bells; teachers; staff; rectors

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

The Inverness Royal Academy School Bell is one of a number of items that link the Academy with the Inverness Grammar School that came before it, located in the building known today as the Dunbar Centre in Church Street. The bell was the gift of Hector Fraser, who was Rector of the Grammar School from 1755 to 1777. The inscription on the bell reads:<br /> <br /> Ex Dono Hectoris Fraserii Ludimagistri Invernessensis 1756<br /> A Gift of Hector Fraser, Schoolmaster at Inverness, 1756<br /> <br /> A bust of Hector Fraser exists, carved by Westmacott, and is on display in the school.<br /> <br /> In the minutes of the Directors of the Academy for 1793, there is an instruction that the bell was to be taken down from the Grammar School, and "put up in such a place in the Academy as they shall find it will be best heard in". This was at the original Royal Academy building (opened in 1792) in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. A wooden belfry was erected, but by 1832 it needed repair at a cost of £40. This was thought to be too expensive, so a temporary belfry was erected on the janitor's house.<br /> <br /> In 1895, the bell was moved to the new school building in the Crown district, where a purpose-built belfry was provided above the front door. Many pupils would plead with the janitor to be allowed to ring the bell from the gallery on the first floor. It called generations of pupils to their classes at the start of the day and after lunch, except during the War years when the ringing of bells was prohibited, other than in the event of an imminent invasion of the country.<br /> <br /> The final move for the bell was in 1982, some years after the opening of the new building at Culduthel. The bell was taken down from the Crown building and eventually mounted in a display case specially built by Alan Beattie, who for many years was head of technical subjects at the Academy. This photograph, taken in 1992, the year of the school's bicentenary, shows Ian Fraser (Rector 1971 to 1993) (left) and Norman Cordiner (then Chairman or the School Board) (right), beside the bell case at Culduthel.