Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
1970s view of Inverness Royal Academy site
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY2_013
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1970s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29900
KEYWORDS
schools
education
aerial photography
towns
buildings
aerial photographs
1970s view of Inverness Royal Academy site

An aerial view of the area around Inverness Royal Academy, taken in the early 1970s. The school is in the centre of the shot, and Crown Primary School, with its extensive playground area, is in the lower left, separated from the Royal Academy by the sweep of Midmills Road and Crown Circus. Towards the top of the picture is the railway yard and station, and Eastgate, before the redevelopment which saw the building of the Eastgate Centre. At the top of the picture, towards the left, is Inverness High Street.

The Royal Academy shows four phases of its development. The three parallel pitched roofs, with the belfry just beyond, mark the building, which, in 1895, replaced the original school building in Academy Street. Slightly nearer the bottom of the picture, with two prominent gable windows, is the 1913 science, art and gymnasium extension. The two long parallel roofs across the quadrangle are the building erected for the Primary School, opened in 1925. The flat-roofed building, showing four skylights, is the 1960 extension, mainly providing an assembly hall and canteen, although some extra classrooms were built. Three demountable huts erected in the 1960s lie to the right of the main buildings of the school.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

1970s view of Inverness Royal Academy site

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1970s

schools; education; aerial photography; towns; buildings; aerial photographs

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

An aerial view of the area around Inverness Royal Academy, taken in the early 1970s. The school is in the centre of the shot, and Crown Primary School, with its extensive playground area, is in the lower left, separated from the Royal Academy by the sweep of Midmills Road and Crown Circus. Towards the top of the picture is the railway yard and station, and Eastgate, before the redevelopment which saw the building of the Eastgate Centre. At the top of the picture, towards the left, is Inverness High Street.<br /> <br /> The Royal Academy shows four phases of its development. The three parallel pitched roofs, with the belfry just beyond, mark the building, which, in 1895, replaced the original school building in Academy Street. Slightly nearer the bottom of the picture, with two prominent gable windows, is the 1913 science, art and gymnasium extension. The two long parallel roofs across the quadrangle are the building erected for the Primary School, opened in 1925. The flat-roofed building, showing four skylights, is the 1960 extension, mainly providing an assembly hall and canteen, although some extra classrooms were built. Three demountable huts erected in the 1960s lie to the right of the main buildings of the school.