Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Royal Academy, 1913 extension: science laboratory (High School)
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY2_018
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1913
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29905
KEYWORDS
schools
education
classes
classrooms
science labs
pupils
Inverness Royal Academy, 1913 extension: science laboratory (High School)

In January 1913, Inverness Royal Academy opened a major extension on the south side of its site, along part of Midmills Road. There were four science laboratories on the ground floor, along with the gymnasium. The art rooms were on the first floor along with a science lecture room, later converted for use as a music room. Toilets and cloakrooms were also included. The total cost was something like £8000, towards which the Scotch Education Department, as it was then called, provided a grant of £2500. The balance was shared between the ratepayers of Inverness town and the County of Inverness.



Six photographs exist, taken at the time of the official opening. The rooms were partly used by senior pupils of Inverness High School, then based in the building now used by the Crown School. For many years these photographs were used in the school prospectus and similar publications. They were all taken by A. Paterson, photographer, of Inverness.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Royal Academy, 1913 extension: science laboratory (High School)

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1910s

schools; education; classes; classrooms; science labs; pupils

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

In January 1913, Inverness Royal Academy opened a major extension on the south side of its site, along part of Midmills Road. There were four science laboratories on the ground floor, along with the gymnasium. The art rooms were on the first floor along with a science lecture room, later converted for use as a music room. Toilets and cloakrooms were also included. The total cost was something like £8000, towards which the Scotch Education Department, as it was then called, provided a grant of £2500. The balance was shared between the ratepayers of Inverness town and the County of Inverness.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> Six photographs exist, taken at the time of the official opening. The rooms were partly used by senior pupils of Inverness High School, then based in the building now used by the Crown School. For many years these photographs were used in the school prospectus and similar publications. They were all taken by A. Paterson, photographer, of Inverness.