Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Royal Academy: Academy Girl Guide Company, 1931
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY2_021
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1931
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29908
KEYWORDS
guides
guiding
uniforms
organisations
Inverness Royal Academy: Academy Girl Guide Company, 1931

The Girl Guide Patrol Leaders in Session 1930-31. Those shown are:
Back row: Sheena Dobbie, (Tawny Owl) Patrol Leader J. Burnett, B. Grant, (Tawny Owl) Patrol Leader E. Mowat
Front row: M. Petrie, S. Ross, C. Macleod, J. Macpherson

A Girl Guide Company, the 3rd Inverness Company, was active in Inverness Royal Academy from around 1923 until the early 1940s. In the early days Miss Mary Roy (geography) was Captain. From 1927 to 1932, Miss Jessie Horne (art) was the Lieutenant. In 1927 the Guides' summer camp was held at Rosemarkie in the Black Isle, and in 1929 the camp was beside Loch Meikle in Glenurquhart. A Brownie Pack was formed in 1929, but it does not seem to have lasted for any length of time.

After a period with no Captain, the Guide Company was led from late 1936 by Miss Marshall, assisted by Miss Ola Campbell (until summer 1938) and Miss Chrissie Ferguson (from autumn 1938). The Company received new Colours in February 1939, although earlier Colours are shown in a 1927 photograph of the entire Guide Company.

In 1937 one of the Academy girls, Patrol Leader Chrissie Fergusson, was chosen to represent Inverness-shire Guiding at the Coronation of George VI, and another was selected to attend an international Guide Camp held at Blair Atholl in Perthshire. A third Guide, but not necessarily from the Academy Company, attended an international camp in Hungary in July 1939, returning home only a matter of weeks before the outbreak of World War II. Reports on these events are found in the school magazine.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Royal Academy: Academy Girl Guide Company, 1931

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

guides; guiding; uniforms; organisations

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

The Girl Guide Patrol Leaders in Session 1930-31. Those shown are:<br /> Back row: Sheena Dobbie, (Tawny Owl) Patrol Leader J. Burnett, B. Grant, (Tawny Owl) Patrol Leader E. Mowat<br /> Front row: M. Petrie, S. Ross, C. Macleod, J. Macpherson<br /> <br /> A Girl Guide Company, the 3rd Inverness Company, was active in Inverness Royal Academy from around 1923 until the early 1940s. In the early days Miss Mary Roy (geography) was Captain. From 1927 to 1932, Miss Jessie Horne (art) was the Lieutenant. In 1927 the Guides' summer camp was held at Rosemarkie in the Black Isle, and in 1929 the camp was beside Loch Meikle in Glenurquhart. A Brownie Pack was formed in 1929, but it does not seem to have lasted for any length of time. <br /> <br /> After a period with no Captain, the Guide Company was led from late 1936 by Miss Marshall, assisted by Miss Ola Campbell (until summer 1938) and Miss Chrissie Ferguson (from autumn 1938). The Company received new Colours in February 1939, although earlier Colours are shown in a 1927 photograph of the entire Guide Company.<br /> <br /> In 1937 one of the Academy girls, Patrol Leader Chrissie Fergusson, was chosen to represent Inverness-shire Guiding at the Coronation of George VI, and another was selected to attend an international Guide Camp held at Blair Atholl in Perthshire. A third Guide, but not necessarily from the Academy Company, attended an international camp in Hungary in July 1939, returning home only a matter of weeks before the outbreak of World War II. Reports on these events are found in the school magazine.