Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Royal Academy: School Choir, 1923/24
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY2_023
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29910
KEYWORDS
music
choirs
groups
schools
musical groups
Inverness Royal Academy: School Choir, 1923/24

The school ran a variety of groups for extra-curricular activities between the World Wars, mainly for sport, but there were various choirs. No specific information is available about this photograph of the Inverness Royal Academy school choir in session 1923-24, although certainly from 1926 Academy choirs were entered in the local music festival. Various drama productions took place in the 1930s.

Between the wars, the school had an active music department, including pianoforte instruction, although class singing was the main form of music-making. In the early 1920s, two rooms were provided for music instruction, but these were later combined into a single room with the piano instruction being moved to the Crown Church hall. The music teacher for all of this period was Lewis Owen, who served the school for 27 years, from 1912 until his death in 1940.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Royal Academy: School Choir, 1923/24

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

music; choirs; groups; schools; musical groups

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

The school ran a variety of groups for extra-curricular activities between the World Wars, mainly for sport, but there were various choirs. No specific information is available about this photograph of the Inverness Royal Academy school choir in session 1923-24, although certainly from 1926 Academy choirs were entered in the local music festival. Various drama productions took place in the 1930s.<br /> <br /> Between the wars, the school had an active music department, including pianoforte instruction, although class singing was the main form of music-making. In the early 1920s, two rooms were provided for music instruction, but these were later combined into a single room with the piano instruction being moved to the Crown Church hall. The music teacher for all of this period was Lewis Owen, who served the school for 27 years, from 1912 until his death in 1940.