Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Black and white print of Inverness Royal Academy 1972
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY2_033
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1972
PERIOD
1970s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29920
KEYWORDS
schools
education
buildings
sketches
Black and white print of Inverness Royal Academy 1972

This illustration was drawn in 1972 by Gordon Harvey, then an art teacher at the Royal Academy, and shows the Midmills Building of Inverness Royal Academy through the War Memorial gates, and under snow. It was featured in the school magazine for that year.

The original building for Inverness Royal Academy, opened in 1792, was in New Street, now Academy Street, a short distance north of what in now Station Square. Towards the end of the nineteenth century, the design of the building, together with an extension to the rear for a girls' school, proved unsuitable for the type of education then required. A new building was opened in the Crown area of the town in February 1895. Originally the entrances to the grounds were on the two front corners of the school grounds, but in the 1950s a new central entrance was provided, and the new gates installed, erected as a memorial to members and former members of the school who had died or served in World War II.

This building served the Royal Academy until the opening of the new building at Cuduthel, and the last Royal Academy pupils to be educated at Midmills left in the summer of 1979. Over the years, four extensions were added. To the right (and just visible in the drawing) was the science and art block, including a gymnasium. This was opened in 1913. To the left (near to where the janitor's house can just be seen) a primary school building was completed in 1925. In 1960 a building providing a school hall, dining hall and some classrooms, including a technical workshop, was added. Some demountable huts were also provided at this time. Finally in the 1970s a prefabricated block was added to the north-east, which provided mainly further science and business studies accommodation.

The whole site was briefly used from 1979 to establish Culloden Academy, before its building was completed at Culloden. Since then Inverness College has taken over the building for certain of its courses.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Black and white print of Inverness Royal Academy 1972

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1970s

schools; education; buildings; sketches;

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

This illustration was drawn in 1972 by Gordon Harvey, then an art teacher at the Royal Academy, and shows the Midmills Building of Inverness Royal Academy through the War Memorial gates, and under snow. It was featured in the school magazine for that year.<br /> <br /> The original building for Inverness Royal Academy, opened in 1792, was in New Street, now Academy Street, a short distance north of what in now Station Square. Towards the end of the nineteenth century, the design of the building, together with an extension to the rear for a girls' school, proved unsuitable for the type of education then required. A new building was opened in the Crown area of the town in February 1895. Originally the entrances to the grounds were on the two front corners of the school grounds, but in the 1950s a new central entrance was provided, and the new gates installed, erected as a memorial to members and former members of the school who had died or served in World War II.<br /> <br /> This building served the Royal Academy until the opening of the new building at Cuduthel, and the last Royal Academy pupils to be educated at Midmills left in the summer of 1979. Over the years, four extensions were added. To the right (and just visible in the drawing) was the science and art block, including a gymnasium. This was opened in 1913. To the left (near to where the janitor's house can just be seen) a primary school building was completed in 1925. In 1960 a building providing a school hall, dining hall and some classrooms, including a technical workshop, was added. Some demountable huts were also provided at this time. Finally in the 1970s a prefabricated block was added to the north-east, which provided mainly further science and business studies accommodation.<br /> <br /> The whole site was briefly used from 1979 to establish Culloden Academy, before its building was completed at Culloden. Since then Inverness College has taken over the building for certain of its courses.