Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Donald John Macdonald, Rector 1944 to 1962
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY_008
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29929
KEYWORDS
people
teachers
rectors
schools
education
Gaelic Societies
Donald John Macdonald, Rector 1944 to 1962

Born in June 1900, Donald John MacDonald was from Lochcarron in Wester Ross, and was a native Gaelic speaker. After education at Lochcarron School and Dingwall Academy, he graduated from Aberdeen University with a Master of Arts degree, with Honours in English Language and Literature. He was the outstanding student of his year at Teacher Training College in 1924, and served as President of the Aberdeen University Celtic Society in the same session.

D.J., as he became known, was appointed to the Royal Academy in 1924 as an assistant teacher of English, becoming head of department in 1929. He was appointed as Second Master in 1942, and, on the retirement of Crampton Smith in 1944, he became Rector.

As an outstanding teacher, and with a marvellous personality, D.J. introduced the prefect system to the Royal Academy. He retired in 1962. A year before his death in June 1993, he was present at the bicentenary celebrations of the Royal Academy in their new building at Culduthel, where he was a member of the official party to greet the Earl of Inverness.

Outwith his school career, D.J. was a Justice of the Peace, member of the Rotary Club of Inverness, a member of the Culloden Battlefield committee of the National Trust for Scotland, and a member (and later chairman) of the Inverness Hospitals (later the Northern Hospitals) Board of Management. He was awarded an Honorary LL.D. degree in 1957. Other appointments included being an elder of the West Church in Inverness from 1946, and Chief of the Gaelic Society of Inverness from 1964. He served as President of the Inverness Battalion of the Boys' Brigade for two years.

(thanks to Robert Preece for this information)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Donald John Macdonald, Rector 1944 to 1962

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1940s; 1950s

people; teachers; rectors; schools; education; Gaelic Societies

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

Born in June 1900, Donald John MacDonald was from Lochcarron in Wester Ross, and was a native Gaelic speaker. After education at Lochcarron School and Dingwall Academy, he graduated from Aberdeen University with a Master of Arts degree, with Honours in English Language and Literature. He was the outstanding student of his year at Teacher Training College in 1924, and served as President of the Aberdeen University Celtic Society in the same session.<br /> <br /> D.J., as he became known, was appointed to the Royal Academy in 1924 as an assistant teacher of English, becoming head of department in 1929. He was appointed as Second Master in 1942, and, on the retirement of Crampton Smith in 1944, he became Rector.<br /> <br /> As an outstanding teacher, and with a marvellous personality, D.J. introduced the prefect system to the Royal Academy. He retired in 1962. A year before his death in June 1993, he was present at the bicentenary celebrations of the Royal Academy in their new building at Culduthel, where he was a member of the official party to greet the Earl of Inverness.<br /> <br /> Outwith his school career, D.J. was a Justice of the Peace, member of the Rotary Club of Inverness, a member of the Culloden Battlefield committee of the National Trust for Scotland, and a member (and later chairman) of the Inverness Hospitals (later the Northern Hospitals) Board of Management. He was awarded an Honorary LL.D. degree in 1957. Other appointments included being an elder of the West Church in Inverness from 1946, and Chief of the Gaelic Society of Inverness from 1964. He served as President of the Inverness Battalion of the Boys' Brigade for two years.<br /> <br /> (thanks to Robert Preece for this information)