Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bicentenary of Inverness Royal Academy, 1992
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY_011
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1992
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29932
KEYWORDS
people
schools
education
royalty
Bicentenary of Inverness Royal Academy, 1992

H.R.H. Earl of Inverness unveils the commemorative plaque.
Pictured are Val MacIver (Chair, Education Committee, Highland Regional Council), not known (hope to get an answer though!) and the Earl of Inverness (Prince Andrew).
Following the unveiling Prince Andrew toured various parts of the school, including an historical exhibition, which included the Royal charter and photographs of the school over the years.

Inverness Royal Academy was established in 1792 to replace the town Grammar School, which had primarily taught Latin Grammar and Language. The school was first established in a new building in New Street, later to be called Academy Street. The Academy provided a much wider education than had previously been available. It was primarily for boys but there is evidence that girls attended various classes from the earliest date.

In 1895 the school moved to a new building in the Crown District of the town, which is currently used as part of Inverness College. By the 1970s housing developments in Inverness, and especially at Culloden, required a reorganisation of the pattern of secondary education in and around Inverness. This led to Inverness Royal Academy, Millburn Academy and Culloden Academy serving distinct parts of the town and area as comprehensive schools. Previously the Royal Academy had served as a senior secondary school, with an emphasis on the Scottish Leaving Certificate examinations at Higher Grade. Between 1977 and 1979 the Royal Academy moved to its third site at Culduthel which was then on the outskirts of the town.

In 1992, the Academy celebrated its bicentenary with a series of events which included a visit by the H.R.H. Earl of Inverness (Prince Andrew) on 26th June. This was in recognition that King George III had granted a Royal Charter to the Academy in 1793. This document survives and is on display in the school, having been restored by a grant from the Inverness Common Good Fund in 1992.

(thanks to Robert Preece for this information)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bicentenary of Inverness Royal Academy, 1992

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1990s

people; schools; education; royalty;

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

H.R.H. Earl of Inverness unveils the commemorative plaque.<br /> Pictured are Val MacIver (Chair, Education Committee, Highland Regional Council), not known (hope to get an answer though!) and the Earl of Inverness (Prince Andrew).<br /> Following the unveiling Prince Andrew toured various parts of the school, including an historical exhibition, which included the Royal charter and photographs of the school over the years.<br /> <br /> Inverness Royal Academy was established in 1792 to replace the town Grammar School, which had primarily taught Latin Grammar and Language. The school was first established in a new building in New Street, later to be called Academy Street. The Academy provided a much wider education than had previously been available. It was primarily for boys but there is evidence that girls attended various classes from the earliest date. <br /> <br /> In 1895 the school moved to a new building in the Crown District of the town, which is currently used as part of Inverness College. By the 1970s housing developments in Inverness, and especially at Culloden, required a reorganisation of the pattern of secondary education in and around Inverness. This led to Inverness Royal Academy, Millburn Academy and Culloden Academy serving distinct parts of the town and area as comprehensive schools. Previously the Royal Academy had served as a senior secondary school, with an emphasis on the Scottish Leaving Certificate examinations at Higher Grade. Between 1977 and 1979 the Royal Academy moved to its third site at Culduthel which was then on the outskirts of the town.<br /> <br /> In 1992, the Academy celebrated its bicentenary with a series of events which included a visit by the H.R.H. Earl of Inverness (Prince Andrew) on 26th June. This was in recognition that King George III had granted a Royal Charter to the Academy in 1793. This document survives and is on display in the school, having been restored by a grant from the Inverness Common Good Fund in 1992.<br /> <br /> (thanks to Robert Preece for this information)