Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Royal Academy sports pavilion at Millburn
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY_016
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29937
KEYWORDS
schools
facilities
sports
pavilions
buildings
education
Inverness Royal Academy sports pavilion at Millburn

When Inverness Royal Academy moved from Academy Street to the site at Midmills in 1895, there was considerable space behind the building for use as a sports field. However in 1913 a building for the science and art departments was opened behind the right-hand (south) wing of the school, and in 1925 the Primary Department building was constructed behind the left-hand (north) wing of the school. This left inadequate land for sports fields for an expanding school.

In the late 1920s land was feud (a previously common form of land tenure in Scotland) from Inverness Kirk Session at Millburn for a sports field, and this was opened for use in the autumn of 1930. It provided facilities in winter for association football, rugby and hockey and in the summer for cricket and athletics. The shinty team still had to make use of the pitch at the Bught Park.

In the late 1930s a pavilion was provided at a cost of over £2000. It was paid for from the school endowments and with assistance from a school bazaar which raised £300. The accommodation provided included changing rooms with showers for both boys and girls, a small hall for entertaining visiting teams, and a verandah at the front overlooking the pitches.

The pavilion was formally opened on 28th October 1938 by Major J. E. McConnell, secretary of the Northern Regional Committee for National Fitness. At the time of its opening there was a national campaign for improving the fitness of the general population. After the ceremony, demonstration football, rugby and girls' hockey matches were played. Other sports promoted by the school at this stage were boys' hockey, shinty, cricket, tennis, badminton, rifle shooting and swimming. The pavilion served the school until the Royal Academy moved to Culduthel in the period from 1977 to 1979. The field and pavilion were then taken over by Millburn Academy.

(thanks to Robert Preece for this information)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Royal Academy sports pavilion at Millburn

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

schools; facilities; sports; pavilions; buildings; education

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

When Inverness Royal Academy moved from Academy Street to the site at Midmills in 1895, there was considerable space behind the building for use as a sports field. However in 1913 a building for the science and art departments was opened behind the right-hand (south) wing of the school, and in 1925 the Primary Department building was constructed behind the left-hand (north) wing of the school. This left inadequate land for sports fields for an expanding school.<br /> <br /> In the late 1920s land was feud (a previously common form of land tenure in Scotland) from Inverness Kirk Session at Millburn for a sports field, and this was opened for use in the autumn of 1930. It provided facilities in winter for association football, rugby and hockey and in the summer for cricket and athletics. The shinty team still had to make use of the pitch at the Bught Park.<br /> <br /> In the late 1930s a pavilion was provided at a cost of over £2000. It was paid for from the school endowments and with assistance from a school bazaar which raised £300. The accommodation provided included changing rooms with showers for both boys and girls, a small hall for entertaining visiting teams, and a verandah at the front overlooking the pitches.<br /> <br /> The pavilion was formally opened on 28th October 1938 by Major J. E. McConnell, secretary of the Northern Regional Committee for National Fitness. At the time of its opening there was a national campaign for improving the fitness of the general population. After the ceremony, demonstration football, rugby and girls' hockey matches were played. Other sports promoted by the school at this stage were boys' hockey, shinty, cricket, tennis, badminton, rifle shooting and swimming. The pavilion served the school until the Royal Academy moved to Culduthel in the period from 1977 to 1979. The field and pavilion were then taken over by Millburn Academy.<br /> <br /> (thanks to Robert Preece for this information)