Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Inverness Royal Academy building at Midmills in the Crown Area of Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY_027
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29946
KEYWORDS
schools
buildings
education
colleges
The Inverness Royal Academy building at Midmills in the Crown Area of Inverness

Inverness Royal Academy was founded in 1792. It replaced a former grammar school in the town which had links going back to the Inverness Friary 'Sang Schuile' (song school). The original premises were in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. The school obtained a Royal Charter from King George III in 1793, hence the use of the word 'Royal' in its title. The charter is currently on display in the Academy.

In the 1890s the Directors, following various inspection reports, realised that the existing building in Academy Street was unsuitable for the type of education then required. They started work on plans for a new building. The site in the Crown area was selected after several other sites had been considered. Although there had been little urban development there before that time, the site offered easy access from the town, being at the top of Stephen's Brae and Stephen's Street.

The local architectural firm of Ross and Macbeth were the architects (Alexander Ross is best known for his design of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness). The foundation stone was laid on 27th June 1893, by the Grand Master Mason of Scotland, the Earl of Haddington. The opening ceremony for the new building was on 25th February 1895.

The Midmills building remained in use until the late 1970s, when a new school was constructed at Culduthel. This building now forms part of the campus of Inverness College.

This photograph is copied from a book held in Highland Council Archives. It was presented to His Majesty's Chief Inspector of Schools, John L. Robertson, on his retirement in 1905, and contained sections from many schools across the former county of Inverness-shire. This photograph forms part of the tribute from the Royal Academy to Robertson for his work. As illustrated here, the original entrances for the school were on the two front corners of the site. It was only shortly before World War II Memorial gates were erected in November 1954 that a single entrance was created in front of the main doors.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Inverness Royal Academy building at Midmills in the Crown Area of Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

schools; buildings; education; colleges

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

Inverness Royal Academy was founded in 1792. It replaced a former grammar school in the town which had links going back to the Inverness Friary 'Sang Schuile' (song school). The original premises were in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. The school obtained a Royal Charter from King George III in 1793, hence the use of the word 'Royal' in its title. The charter is currently on display in the Academy.<br /> <br /> In the 1890s the Directors, following various inspection reports, realised that the existing building in Academy Street was unsuitable for the type of education then required. They started work on plans for a new building. The site in the Crown area was selected after several other sites had been considered. Although there had been little urban development there before that time, the site offered easy access from the town, being at the top of Stephen's Brae and Stephen's Street.<br /> <br /> The local architectural firm of Ross and Macbeth were the architects (Alexander Ross is best known for his design of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness). The foundation stone was laid on 27th June 1893, by the Grand Master Mason of Scotland, the Earl of Haddington. The opening ceremony for the new building was on 25th February 1895.<br /> <br /> The Midmills building remained in use until the late 1970s, when a new school was constructed at Culduthel. This building now forms part of the campus of Inverness College.<br /> <br /> This photograph is copied from a book held in Highland Council Archives. It was presented to His Majesty's Chief Inspector of Schools, John L. Robertson, on his retirement in 1905, and contained sections from many schools across the former county of Inverness-shire. This photograph forms part of the tribute from the Royal Academy to Robertson for his work. As illustrated here, the original entrances for the school were on the two front corners of the site. It was only shortly before World War II Memorial gates were erected in November 1954 that a single entrance was created in front of the main doors.