Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Royal Academy in 1953
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY_031
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1953
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29951
KEYWORDS
schools
education
buildings
Inverness Royal Academy in 1953

Inverness Royal Academy was founded in 1792. It replaced a former grammar school in the town which had links going back to the Inverness Friary 'Sang Schuile' (song school). The original premises were in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. The school obtained a Royal Charter from King George III in 1793, hence the use of the word 'Royal' in its title.

In the 1890s the Directors, following various inspection reports, realised that the existing building in Academy Street was unsuitable for the type of education then required. A site was selected in the Crown District of the town. The local architectural firm of Ross and Macbeth were the architects (Alexander Ross is best known for his design of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness). The foundation stone was laid on 27th June 1893 by the Grand Master Mason of Scotland, the Earl of Haddington. The opening ceremony was on 25th February 1895.

This building, now part of the campus of Inverness College, remained in use until the late 1970s, when a new school was constructed at Culduthel.

This shows a view of the school from the junction of Kingsmills Road and Midmills Road, outside the Crown Church. This photograph was taken soon after the main entrance was moved from the front corners of the school site to a central position on Stephen's Street. The whitish section of the wall shows the original position of one of the corner gates. A small part of the wing opened in 1913 for the science and art departments is shown on the extreme right of the photograph.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Royal Academy in 1953

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

schools; education; buildings;

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

Inverness Royal Academy was founded in 1792. It replaced a former grammar school in the town which had links going back to the Inverness Friary 'Sang Schuile' (song school). The original premises were in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. The school obtained a Royal Charter from King George III in 1793, hence the use of the word 'Royal' in its title.<br /> <br /> In the 1890s the Directors, following various inspection reports, realised that the existing building in Academy Street was unsuitable for the type of education then required. A site was selected in the Crown District of the town. The local architectural firm of Ross and Macbeth were the architects (Alexander Ross is best known for his design of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness). The foundation stone was laid on 27th June 1893 by the Grand Master Mason of Scotland, the Earl of Haddington. The opening ceremony was on 25th February 1895.<br /> <br /> This building, now part of the campus of Inverness College, remained in use until the late 1970s, when a new school was constructed at Culduthel.<br /> <br /> This shows a view of the school from the junction of Kingsmills Road and Midmills Road, outside the Crown Church. This photograph was taken soon after the main entrance was moved from the front corners of the school site to a central position on Stephen's Street. The whitish section of the wall shows the original position of one of the corner gates. A small part of the wing opened in 1913 for the science and art departments is shown on the extreme right of the photograph.