Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Assembled for prayers - Inverness Royal Academy 1953
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY_033
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1953
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29953
KEYWORDS
schools
education
buildings
Assembled for prayers - Inverness Royal Academy 1953

Morning Assembly for the Upper School in the main hall. The central hall was the only large meeting area available until the construction of the third extension to the school in 1960. Morning assembly would be held here daily. Staff are seated on the benches around the side of the hall, under the gallery. On the pillars under the clock and school badge are World War II Memorial boards, now installed in the current school building at Culduthel.

Inverness Royal Academy was founded in 1792. It replaced a former grammar school in the town which had links going back to the Inverness Friary 'Sang Schuile' (song school). The original premises were in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. The school obtained a Royal Charter from King George III in 1793, hence the use of the word 'Royal' in its title.

In the 1890s the Directors, following various inspection reports, realised that the existing building in Academy Street was unsuitable for the type of education then required. A site was selected in the Crown District of the town. The local architectural firm of Ross and Macbeth were the architects (Alexander Ross is best known for his design of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness). The foundation stone was laid on 27th June 1893 by the Grand Master Mason of Scotland, the Earl of Haddington. The opening ceremony was on 25th February 1895.

This building, now part of the campus of Inverness College, remained in use until the late 1970s, when a new school was constructed at Culduthel.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Assembled for prayers - Inverness Royal Academy 1953

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

schools; education; buildings;

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

Morning Assembly for the Upper School in the main hall. The central hall was the only large meeting area available until the construction of the third extension to the school in 1960. Morning assembly would be held here daily. Staff are seated on the benches around the side of the hall, under the gallery. On the pillars under the clock and school badge are World War II Memorial boards, now installed in the current school building at Culduthel.<br /> <br /> Inverness Royal Academy was founded in 1792. It replaced a former grammar school in the town which had links going back to the Inverness Friary 'Sang Schuile' (song school). The original premises were in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. The school obtained a Royal Charter from King George III in 1793, hence the use of the word 'Royal' in its title.<br /> <br /> In the 1890s the Directors, following various inspection reports, realised that the existing building in Academy Street was unsuitable for the type of education then required. A site was selected in the Crown District of the town. The local architectural firm of Ross and Macbeth were the architects (Alexander Ross is best known for his design of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness). The foundation stone was laid on 27th June 1893 by the Grand Master Mason of Scotland, the Earl of Haddington. The opening ceremony was on 25th February 1895.<br /> <br /> This building, now part of the campus of Inverness College, remained in use until the late 1970s, when a new school was constructed at Culduthel.