Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Laying of the foundation stone for the New Inverness Royal Academy
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY_040
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
27 June 1893
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29960
KEYWORDS
schools
buildings
education
construction
Laying of the foundation stone for the New Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy was founded in 1792. It replaced a former grammar school in the town which had links going back to the Inverness Friary 'Sang Schuile' (song school). The original premises were in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. The school obtained a Royal Charter from King George III in 1793, hence the use of the word 'Royal' in its title.

In the 1890s the Directors, following various inspection reports, realised that the existing building in Academy Street was unsuitable for the type of education then required. They started work on plans for a new building. The site in the Crown area was selected after several other sites had been considered. Although there had been little urban development there before that time, the site offered easy access from the town, being at the top of Stephen's Brae and Stephen's Street. The local architectural firm of Ross and Macbeth were the architects (Alexander Ross is best known for his design of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness).

It was realised that the Grand Master Mason of Scotland, the Earl of Haddington, was to visit Inverness, and so a ceremony for the laying of the foundation stone was arranged for 27th June 1893 at 3 p.m. Mr Roddie, the school's singing teacher, trained up a choir to sing a Masonic hymn. The foundation stone contains a copper plate with the names of the Directors and officials, the architect and the contractors. It also contains specimens of the coins of the day up to the value of a sovereign, the four last newspapers published in the Burgh, a school prospectus, and copies of The Academical, the school magazine, which included the plans for the school.

The Highland Volunteer Artillery Band was engaged (for a sum not to exceed £4), and the police were to attend the ceremony. In the presence of the Town officials, and members of the Burgh School Board, a procession assembled in the town and proceeded to the site. A local photographer, Mr Cooper, took two photographs of the event, of which this one survives. After the ceremony, a cake and wine reception was arranged for the Town Hall, something which was to cause problems later when the Scotch (sic) Education Department questioned this expenditure as a legitimate item in the costs of the new school.

The opening ceremony was on 25th February 1895. This building, now part of the campus of Inverness College, remained in use until the late 1970s, when a new school was constructed at Culduthel.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Laying of the foundation stone for the New Inverness Royal Academy

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s

schools; buildings; education; construction

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

Inverness Royal Academy was founded in 1792. It replaced a former grammar school in the town which had links going back to the Inverness Friary 'Sang Schuile' (song school). The original premises were in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. The school obtained a Royal Charter from King George III in 1793, hence the use of the word 'Royal' in its title.<br /> <br /> In the 1890s the Directors, following various inspection reports, realised that the existing building in Academy Street was unsuitable for the type of education then required. They started work on plans for a new building. The site in the Crown area was selected after several other sites had been considered. Although there had been little urban development there before that time, the site offered easy access from the town, being at the top of Stephen's Brae and Stephen's Street. The local architectural firm of Ross and Macbeth were the architects (Alexander Ross is best known for his design of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness).<br /> <br /> It was realised that the Grand Master Mason of Scotland, the Earl of Haddington, was to visit Inverness, and so a ceremony for the laying of the foundation stone was arranged for 27th June 1893 at 3 p.m. Mr Roddie, the school's singing teacher, trained up a choir to sing a Masonic hymn. The foundation stone contains a copper plate with the names of the Directors and officials, the architect and the contractors. It also contains specimens of the coins of the day up to the value of a sovereign, the four last newspapers published in the Burgh, a school prospectus, and copies of The Academical, the school magazine, which included the plans for the school.<br /> <br /> The Highland Volunteer Artillery Band was engaged (for a sum not to exceed £4), and the police were to attend the ceremony. In the presence of the Town officials, and members of the Burgh School Board, a procession assembled in the town and proceeded to the site. A local photographer, Mr Cooper, took two photographs of the event, of which this one survives. After the ceremony, a cake and wine reception was arranged for the Town Hall, something which was to cause problems later when the Scotch (sic) Education Department questioned this expenditure as a legitimate item in the costs of the new school.<br /> <br /> The opening ceremony was on 25th February 1895. This building, now part of the campus of Inverness College, remained in use until the late 1970s, when a new school was constructed at Culduthel.