Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Royal Academy in the 1950s
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ROYALACADEMY_042
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Inverness Royal Academy
ASSET ID
29962
KEYWORDS
schools
buildings
education
architecture
Inverness Royal Academy in the 1950s

Inverness Royal Academy was founded in 1792. It replaced a former grammar school in the town which had links going back to the Inverness Friary 'Sang Schuile' (song school). The original premises were in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. The school obtained a Royal Charter from King George III in 1793, hence the use of the word 'Royal' in its title.

In the 1890s the Directors, following various inspection reports, realised that the existing building in Academy Street was unsuitable for the type of education then required. They started work on plans for a new building. The site in the Crown area was selected after several other sites had been considered. Although there had been little urban development there before that time, the site offered easy access from the town, being at the top of Stephen's Brae and Stephen's Street. The local architectural firm of Ross and Macbeth were the architects (Alexander Ross is best known for his design of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness).The foundation stone was laid on 27th June 1893 by the Grand Master Mason of Scotland, the Earl of Haddington. The opening ceremony was on 25th February 1895.

This building, now part of the campus of Inverness College, remained in use until the late 1970s, when a new school was constructed at Culduthel.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Royal Academy in the 1950s

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

schools; buildings; education; architecture

Inverness Royal Academy

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

Inverness Royal Academy was founded in 1792. It replaced a former grammar school in the town which had links going back to the Inverness Friary 'Sang Schuile' (song school). The original premises were in New Street, soon renamed Academy Street. The school obtained a Royal Charter from King George III in 1793, hence the use of the word 'Royal' in its title.<br /> <br /> In the 1890s the Directors, following various inspection reports, realised that the existing building in Academy Street was unsuitable for the type of education then required. They started work on plans for a new building. The site in the Crown area was selected after several other sites had been considered. Although there had been little urban development there before that time, the site offered easy access from the town, being at the top of Stephen's Brae and Stephen's Street. The local architectural firm of Ross and Macbeth were the architects (Alexander Ross is best known for his design of St. Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness).The foundation stone was laid on 27th June 1893 by the Grand Master Mason of Scotland, the Earl of Haddington. The opening ceremony was on 25th February 1895.<br /> <br /> This building, now part of the campus of Inverness College, remained in use until the late 1970s, when a new school was constructed at Culduthel.