Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Illustration of the laying of the foundation stone of the Cathedral
EXTERNAL ID
PC_STAND_CATH_006
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
27 October 1866
PERIOD
1860s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness
ASSET ID
30002
KEYWORDS
cathedrals
churches
Illustration of the laying of the foundation stone of the Cathedral

Illustration of the laying of the foundation stone of St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness, by the Archbishop of Canterbury, from Illustrated London News, 27 October 1866

In 1851 Bishop Robert Eden was appointed as Bishop of the Diocese of Moray and Ross for the Scottish Episcopal Church (Caithness was added later). At first he was based in Elgin, but he soon realised that Inverness was far more central to his diocese than was Elgin, so in 1853 he moved to Inverness. He established a Mission Chapel in the Maggot area of the town, but had plans for a Cathedral, which came to fruition in 1866.

The site was purchased on undeveloped land south-west of the recently constructed suspension bridge over the River Ness, a short distance back from the river. The architect was a young local architect, Alexander Ross (who was an Episcopalian), but his initial design had to be cut back through limited funds.

The foundation stone was laid by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Charles Longley, on 17th October 1866, the first official act in Scotland by a English Primate since the establishment of Presbyterianism in Scotland. Some locals objected to the involvement of the Inverness militia and the local volunteers in an event associated with a non-established church, and strongly-worded press campaign ensued.

The Cathedral was built at a cost of over £15000, a cost which excluded the stained glass, the organ, and many of the furnishings which were all donated. The first services in the new building took place in 1869, but the Cathedral was not consecrated until 1874, as a debt of nearly £7000 remained on the project at the time of opening. This was the first Cathedral to be built and consecrated in Britain since the Reformation.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Illustration of the laying of the foundation stone of the Cathedral

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1860s

cathedrals; churches

St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness

Illustration of the laying of the foundation stone of St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness, by the Archbishop of Canterbury, from Illustrated London News, 27 October 1866<br /> <br /> In 1851 Bishop Robert Eden was appointed as Bishop of the Diocese of Moray and Ross for the Scottish Episcopal Church (Caithness was added later). At first he was based in Elgin, but he soon realised that Inverness was far more central to his diocese than was Elgin, so in 1853 he moved to Inverness. He established a Mission Chapel in the Maggot area of the town, but had plans for a Cathedral, which came to fruition in 1866.<br /> <br /> The site was purchased on undeveloped land south-west of the recently constructed suspension bridge over the River Ness, a short distance back from the river. The architect was a young local architect, Alexander Ross (who was an Episcopalian), but his initial design had to be cut back through limited funds.<br /> <br /> The foundation stone was laid by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Charles Longley, on 17th October 1866, the first official act in Scotland by a English Primate since the establishment of Presbyterianism in Scotland. Some locals objected to the involvement of the Inverness militia and the local volunteers in an event associated with a non-established church, and strongly-worded press campaign ensued.<br /> <br /> The Cathedral was built at a cost of over £15000, a cost which excluded the stained glass, the organ, and many of the furnishings which were all donated. The first services in the new building took place in 1869, but the Cathedral was not consecrated until 1874, as a debt of nearly £7000 remained on the project at the time of opening. This was the first Cathedral to be built and consecrated in Britain since the Reformation.