Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Looking 'west' from Choir stalls along the Nave, St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_STAND_CATH_024
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness
ASSET ID
30020
KEYWORDS
churches
cathedrals
church architecture
church interiors
cathedral architecture
cathedral interiors
Looking 'west' from Choir stalls along the Nave, St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

This image shows the Cathedral looking from the Choir to the Nave. The choir stalls were replaced with the present stalls in 1909, as a memorial to Bishop James Kelly. The metal screen and gates were replaced in 1923 by the present War Memorial screen.

The window at the 'west' end of the Cathedral (it is actually at the north-east as the restricted site would not allow the Church to be built with the altar at the east end) is one of the largest of its type in Scotland. As with all the stained glass, it was made by Hardman's of Birmingham. The theme is "Our Lord in Glory at the Last Judgement", and was the Diocese's memorial to Bishop Eden.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Looking 'west' from Choir stalls along the Nave, St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s

churches; cathedrals; church architecture; church interiors; cathedral architecture; cathedral interiors

St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

This image shows the Cathedral looking from the Choir to the Nave. The choir stalls were replaced with the present stalls in 1909, as a memorial to Bishop James Kelly. The metal screen and gates were replaced in 1923 by the present War Memorial screen.<br /> <br /> The window at the 'west' end of the Cathedral (it is actually at the north-east as the restricted site would not allow the Church to be built with the altar at the east end) is one of the largest of its type in Scotland. As with all the stained glass, it was made by Hardman's of Birmingham. The theme is "Our Lord in Glory at the Last Judgement", and was the Diocese's memorial to Bishop Eden.