Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St Andrew's Cricket Club, Inverness, 1900
EXTERNAL ID
PC_STAND_CATH_025
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1900
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness
ASSET ID
30021
KEYWORDS
sports teams
cricket teams
sports clubs
cricket clubs
St Andrew's Cricket Club, Inverness, 1900

The clergyman in the centre of the photograph is Canon Alfred Eyre-Brook, who was a canon of the St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness from 1892 to 1915. There is no information in the Cathedral Magazine of around 1900 about a Cricket Club associated with the Cathedral, but the Inverness Courier reports various cricket matches, in and around Inverness, where St. Andrew's Cricket Club played teams such as Nairn County and Foyers. Home games were played at the Cameron Barracks.

A press report in September 1900 stated that the North of Scotland Cricket League Association had decided that the St Andrew's Cricket Club would be the Cup holders for a further year. The cup was presented at a special meeting on 19 September, and then it was to be put in the care of Canon Brook. The sum of 4s (four shillings) was allocated to provide a badge or other memento for those who had played regularly over that summer season.

This photograph was taken at the same time as the Cup was presented. Canon Brook is seated immediately behind the cup. The Club Secretary, Mr G. T. Cornet, is in the middle of the back row. This framed photograph is now in the Cathedral archive.

Back row, from left to right: A Reid, C Dickson, J Smith, G T Cornet, W Macdonald, J. Dickson.
Middle row: J Fraser, J Russell, Canon Brook, H C Weir, D Cameron, D Mirtle
Front row: D Mackintosh, D Smith

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St Andrew's Cricket Club, Inverness, 1900

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1900s

sports teams; cricket teams; sports clubs; cricket clubs

St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

The clergyman in the centre of the photograph is Canon Alfred Eyre-Brook, who was a canon of the St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness from 1892 to 1915. There is no information in the Cathedral Magazine of around 1900 about a Cricket Club associated with the Cathedral, but the Inverness Courier reports various cricket matches, in and around Inverness, where St. Andrew's Cricket Club played teams such as Nairn County and Foyers. Home games were played at the Cameron Barracks.<br /> <br /> A press report in September 1900 stated that the North of Scotland Cricket League Association had decided that the St Andrew's Cricket Club would be the Cup holders for a further year. The cup was presented at a special meeting on 19 September, and then it was to be put in the care of Canon Brook. The sum of 4s (four shillings) was allocated to provide a badge or other memento for those who had played regularly over that summer season.<br /> <br /> This photograph was taken at the same time as the Cup was presented. Canon Brook is seated immediately behind the cup. The Club Secretary, Mr G. T. Cornet, is in the middle of the back row. This framed photograph is now in the Cathedral archive.<br /> <br /> Back row, from left to right: A Reid, C Dickson, J Smith, G T Cornet, W Macdonald, J. Dickson.<br /> Middle row: J Fraser, J Russell, Canon Brook, H C Weir, D Cameron, D Mirtle<br /> Front row: D Mackintosh, D Smith