Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Right Reverend Piers Holt Wilson
EXTERNAL ID
PC_STAND_CATH_029
SOURCE
Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness
ASSET ID
30025
KEYWORDS
clergy
clergymen
bishops
portraits
The Right Reverend Piers Holt Wilson

Bishop Wilson served as Bishop of the Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness in the Scottish Episcopal Church from 1943 to 1952. After graduating at Oxford he attended Wells Theological College. From 1912 to 1914 he was a chaplain at St Ninian's Cathedral in Perth, and this was followed by war service as a chaplain to the Armed Forces.

After further service in the Diocese of St. Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane, he was consecrated as a bishop on 29 June 1943 in St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness. He was the last Bishop to reside in Eden Court, built in 1878 as the Bishop's Palace for Robert Eden. Wilson was particularly noted for developing itinerant work in the Diocese. On his retiral, his sight was failing badly and he returned to St Andrews. He died in 1956.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Right Reverend Piers Holt Wilson

clergy; clergymen; bishops; portraits

Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness

St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

Bishop Wilson served as Bishop of the Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness in the Scottish Episcopal Church from 1943 to 1952. After graduating at Oxford he attended Wells Theological College. From 1912 to 1914 he was a chaplain at St Ninian's Cathedral in Perth, and this was followed by war service as a chaplain to the Armed Forces.<br /> <br /> After further service in the Diocese of St. Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane, he was consecrated as a bishop on 29 June 1943 in St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness. He was the last Bishop to reside in Eden Court, built in 1878 as the Bishop's Palace for Robert Eden. Wilson was particularly noted for developing itinerant work in the Diocese. On his retiral, his sight was failing badly and he returned to St Andrews. He died in 1956.