Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Right Reverend Gregor MacGregor
EXTERNAL ID
PC_STAND_CATH_031
SOURCE
Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness
ASSET ID
30027
KEYWORDS
clergy
clergymen
bishops
portraits
The Right Reverend Gregor MacGregor

Bishop Gregor Macgregor was the Bishop of Moray, Ross and Caithness in the Scottish Episcopal Church from 1994 until 1998.

Born in 1933 in Glasgow, he became head boy at Hutcheson's Boys' Grammar School. He then attended St Andrews University, and served as a Church of Scotland minister from 1961 to 1973, first in Dundee and then in Stromness. He then joined the Scottish Episcopal Church, soon serving in a non-stipendiary role in central Scotland until 1981, while he worked as a school teacher.

Between 1981 and 1986 he was Rector in Glenrothes, then for a short while as warden of the retreat house in Cumbrae, before coming Rector at Dollar in 1987. After three years in Edinburgh as a mission priest in the Wester Hailes housing estate, he became Bishop in Moray, Ross and Caithness in 1994, retiring in 1998. Shortly after this he suffered a disabling stroke, which affected him for the rest of his life. He died in 2003.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Right Reverend Gregor MacGregor

clergy; clergymen; bishops; portraits

Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness

St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

Bishop Gregor Macgregor was the Bishop of Moray, Ross and Caithness in the Scottish Episcopal Church from 1994 until 1998.<br /> <br /> Born in 1933 in Glasgow, he became head boy at Hutcheson's Boys' Grammar School. He then attended St Andrews University, and served as a Church of Scotland minister from 1961 to 1973, first in Dundee and then in Stromness. He then joined the Scottish Episcopal Church, soon serving in a non-stipendiary role in central Scotland until 1981, while he worked as a school teacher.<br /> <br /> Between 1981 and 1986 he was Rector in Glenrothes, then for a short while as warden of the retreat house in Cumbrae, before coming Rector at Dollar in 1987. After three years in Edinburgh as a mission priest in the Wester Hailes housing estate, he became Bishop in Moray, Ross and Caithness in 1994, retiring in 1998. Shortly after this he suffered a disabling stroke, which affected him for the rest of his life. He died in 2003.